PDA

View Full Version : Thunder syrup

jerzeemaple
03-26-2015, 07:38 PM
I don't know that i have ever boiled in a thunderstorm before! Crazy season! 150gals+/-, 1.7%
51:1

Sandersyrup
03-26-2015, 07:50 PM
Seriously! We had lightening here! Glad I'm in a shack!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerzeemaple
03-26-2015, 08:35 PM
Drives me bonkers when As much water that goes out as steam thru cupola comes in as rain

mellondome
03-26-2015, 10:25 PM
Seriously! We had lightening here! Glad I'm in a shack!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember you have a big lightning rod on your evaporator.... the stack.

Sandersyrup
03-27-2015, 06:53 AM
Wouldn't a lightning rod be better than no lightning rod? Is'nt this why barns and some houses have lightning rods? Assuming you're not enjoying a kettle bath?

~ John 3/16th"

BreezyHill
03-27-2015, 06:54 AM
Crazy season for sure, had the first run test at 1.2% and had a 3.3% run this week. Didn't have time to check yesterday but still have one tank full and it should have run into the early am in another. Interesting to compare them today.

MD is right! In the sugar house is not the best place to be with the wet floor drains in the ground large metal rod to the sky. But when it is our time we are going one way or another. Just don't force the issue.

ben

Sandersyrup
03-27-2015, 08:08 AM
MD is right! In the sugar house is not the best place to be with the wet floor drains in the ground large metal rod to the sky. But when it is our time we are going one way or another. Just don't force the issue.

ben

Ha! Not such a bad way to go. An explosion, A bolt of lightning and smoke and the smell of instantly finished syrup and the best boil rate of your life!

~ John 3/16th"

njwoodsman
03-27-2015, 10:05 AM
I was pulling the second half of my buckets when the lightning started. Thunder was still off in the distance but I picked up the pace big time! Managed to get inside just as the skies opened up. Couldn't boil last night, no roof over my head :cry: but the night before I bottled 1.5 gallons of grade A dark amber. I'm sitting on about 50 gallons right now plus whatever run we get today. Last couple of days I've been averaging 15-20 gallons a day on 24 taps. I'm hoping it slows a bit with the higher temps, I'm barely keeping up! Hard to tell with this weather but it's looking like we may be gearing up for one final run over the weekend through early next week.

sugarwoodacres
03-27-2015, 07:30 PM
I have a nice looking framed sugar shack with no roof, lol, I called it quits based on forecast. Free construction labor takes time. Sap flowing like crazy . Averaging 160 gallons on 140 tapseach day since Tuesday . Sugar content 1.8-2%

maple flats
03-28-2015, 05:34 AM
Lightning rods and the cables belong on the outside of the building, not where the operator, friends and family are!!!