PDA

View Full Version : dented s.s. barrel

highlandcattle
03-26-2015, 05:02 PM
Well it figures. First time we used our brand new 15 gallon barrel it comes back from Bascom's with a huge dent! Anyone have this happen? Think it will do any good to contact them?

sugarman3
03-26-2015, 06:08 PM
is that one of the 15 gal barrels that the state association bought a few years back to sell to producers,if so they were made of thin walled stainless and it doesn't take much to dent them,in fact i had 10 and got my money back because when you filled them hot,the next morn it was sucked in and looked like a loopsided egg,did you take the barrel to Bascoms yourself,if so i would call them.

highlandcattle
03-26-2015, 07:00 PM
Yup. I'm really nor happy. Will be making some calls tomorrow. Thanks

highlandcattle
03-27-2015, 01:11 PM
We bought this through the maple assoc.anyone know who made these? Gettingva nice run around from everyone. Everyone concerned will never see another dime from us!!even in our own group there are folks not to be trusted. It seems to cone down to the blame game. Makes me sick.

Atgreene
03-27-2015, 06:10 PM
That's too bad. I can understand it happening, but a little sorry and a 10% off your next order goes a long way. Even better a "hey, sorry about that, here's a dent free used drum we'll trade". Its not like they don't have 5931 drums laying around.

maple flats
03-27-2015, 07:20 PM
Was it a new barrel or a used one? If used and Bascom's did not tell you it was damaged, I'd request a replacement at their expense. If new, did you file a claim with the freight co.?
If that is one of the old (4 or 5 yrs.) state assoc. Bbls, I have 4, no dents, but I was told when I bought them to only put the small bung in finger tight, and when the barrel felt just warm to the touch to final tighten it. I have never had an issue with the BBLS or the syrup doing it that way.

highlandcattle
03-28-2015, 01:07 PM
Hi Dave. Hope things are going well. Were frozen up here. Snowing all day. Yup.new barrel from assoc. We never used it until the 2014 season. This was not from hotcsyrup. Obvious it got dropped or hit with a forklift. It was at Bascom's. They're givingcme a real hard time. We sent off a brand new barrel and got back one that is terribly damaged. Of no use at this point. No one will take responsibility. Really burns me. All that money wasted.

sugarsand
03-28-2015, 02:36 PM
That definitely looks like fork lift or clamp truck damage. Some minor dings and scratches are to be expected, but not jammed or crushed like that barrel appears to be. Talking with Bruce Bascom directly could possibly get results, worth a try.

sugarsand

Cedar Eater
03-28-2015, 05:34 PM
Have you tried pressuring it up with air or heating it with a few gallons of water inside and the bungs sealed? The dent might pop right out.

brookledge
03-29-2015, 07:14 PM
That deep ding right in the middle of the rib looks like it will be very difficult to get out by pressuizing it. I would go to an autobody shop and maybe a combination of pressure and pulling can pop it or at least get it real close. Autobody shops have strong suction devices or even magnets by sliding a bar of steel down inside since it is not magnetic
I certainly would not trash it. Even with the dent it will just hold a little less syrup.
How did you not notice it when you picked it up? Why didn't you say something right then and there?
Keith

Scribner's Mountain Maple
03-30-2015, 06:45 AM
That is a bummer. I would try what others suggested. I'd start with the hot water method. Boil 2-3 gal of water. Put it in the barrel hot hot and cap it tight. I wouldn't go far as it may not take long to pop that dent back out. In looking at the pic of the dent I think it will come out with ease. The crease won't give it much resistance.

The other method suggested should work too. Air... I have seen a 10,000 gal milk tanker that was totally dented up be fixed with only 5 lbs of air pressure. I think that should work well. Make a fitting that threads into your small bung (that sounds bad) and also fits onto a compressor hose. Add a little air at a time and it should pop that dent right out.

Good luck, and don't let up on a Bascoms for a new barrel or discount. It's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil every time.

Ben

WESTMAPLES
03-30-2015, 09:07 AM
i would try alittle air pressure and bump the edge of the dent with a rubber hammer lightly should mostly come out ive done it will steel oil drums before they go back to the disturber to avoid being charged for any damage

highlandcattle
03-30-2015, 09:56 AM
Thanks For all the advice. Um afraid the Dent is so deep that trying to fix it will further damage it and then its totally ruined. Yes Ron saw the dent when we went to get it. It was left for us to pick up as no one was going to be there.A trip of 2 hours.so no way to leave it and go back again.

highlandcattle
03-30-2015, 05:03 PM
Oh yeah!!!! All set. A replacement barrel is being sent! What a relief. There would just be no way to pay for another after Ron's illness this year. That's been a struggle so we need a break. Thanks to everyone for your help!

maple flats
03-30-2015, 06:46 PM
I'm glad to hear that a new barrel is being sent. Might be they read the posts on the Maple Trader and didn't want the bad press.