PDA

View Full Version : Amount of sap needed to fire up evaporator

Jal-Bear
03-26-2015, 08:02 AM
This is my first year boiling on a 2x5 raised flue (only have done a test boil with water) and I currently have about only 50 gallons of sap that I have collected the past few days. Things have be really slow sap wise. I know I don't have enough to make syrup or even establish a gradient but was wondering should I flood the rig and fire it up to boil what I have? Just don't what little of sap I have go to waste. Thanks.

Big_Eddy
03-26-2015, 06:03 PM
I'd keep it on ice until I had 150 to 200 gallons. Less chance of spoiling.

Russell Lampron
03-26-2015, 06:11 PM
I would fill the evaporator and boil for as long as I could. It will kill the bacteria in the sap and you will be that much closer to making syrup when you have sap again.

PerryW
03-26-2015, 06:23 PM
I agree w/ russel. Should be enough sap to fill the 2x5 to it's operating level (1 inch above the raised flue and 2 inches in the front pan) and still have sap left over to boil for an hour or so. I got 200 gallons today and was able to run my 3x10 for 2 hours till I ran out of sap.

Jal-Bear
03-27-2015, 02:25 PM
Thanks guys. I went ahead and flooded it and was able to boil for about an hour and a half untill I ran out of sap. I didn't push it too hard with it being the first time I boil on it with sap and not having too much of it. Looking at this weekend and next weeks forecast we should hopefully start getting some good runs. Can't wait!

Atgreene
03-27-2015, 06:00 PM
You can always chance it through with some water if you have the right pan set-up.

maple flats
03-27-2015, 07:29 PM
I always try to have 3 hrs. worth of boiling before I first start. After that I'll do 2 hrs worth, but far prefer 5-6 hrs worth. When the sap comes good enough to boil longer, you seem to get better syrup.