PDA

View Full Version : Not gettin diddly

PATheron
03-25-2015, 07:40 PM
Vacuum high, 38 degrees , light rain today with cold real feel. Not getting jack. Trees not feeling it. What in the Sam Hill is goin on? Not worried, theyre not getting out of it anytime soon ill just watch American pickers and wait them out. Ground has to thaw out sometime then get the BIGSAP. Theron

pennslytucky
03-25-2015, 07:46 PM
if this warm front thats here now (about 5 hours west of you) gets to your place, your luck should change! i came home to full tank and running HARD. its still running, and i doubt it stops till late tomorrow. hopefully the sap winds blow your way

Russell Lampron
03-25-2015, 08:00 PM
I got some sap but not as much as I feel that I should have today. It was beautiful here with a high temp of 48*, plenty of sun and almost no wind. Other than it being a little cold to start, you couldn't have asked for a better sap day. There's supposed to be some showers overnight and some rain later tomorrow. I'm not sure if that will wake the trees up shut them down.

Brian Ryther
03-25-2015, 08:15 PM
In the same Diddly as you Theron. I can piss faster than the sap run today. It was a good day for fixing vacuum.

TerryEspo
03-25-2015, 08:19 PM
:lol: That made me laugh

lew
03-25-2015, 09:12 PM
Yup, we're in the same boat. The last two nights were in the single digits and almost no sun today. Maybe tomorrow. Surprised that the lsat two nights hard freezes didn't push out any spiles. Vac levels were as high as we are able to get the woods.

PATheron
03-26-2015, 03:10 AM
Lew- Weve been struggling with vac here more than usual. Partly because it ran good little while ago then froze up super hard, been a good bit of that.
Also Im finding the volume of taps to be hard for me to keep up with honestly. If there are no equipment problems its not to bad but throw in a problem that way and it takes away from woods time. Vac now is pretty close to 25 inches everywhere so if it thaws out we should get tons. I just looked and they upped the real feel to 50 today so it might take off. I think next week looks the best now. Theron

unc23win
03-26-2015, 06:45 AM
The difference in the real feel and predicted temperature will drive a guy nuts. Yesterday all day it was predicted to be warm and then the actual temps were way below predicted each hour. I didn't get much either. I managed to fix a line that was bothering me. I was glad to see a freeze this morning and it looks like more freezing nights on the way. Glad we are not getting the storms they got out west it seems tornado season has started for them.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-26-2015, 06:49 AM
Theron,

I am in week 8 of my season and normally season about over or over by now and most of the season has been diddly. About 28% of my taps are on the north side and they always run like crazy and give me probably 40% of my syrup and I haven't probably gotten but about 3 gpt if even that off of them. Been tough season for everyone down here.

doocat
03-26-2015, 07:09 AM
Same diddly here in northeast Susquehanna County. The forecast finally looks promising for the ten day.

Craig

cur dog
03-26-2015, 11:33 AM
Craig, I'm just a few miles from you. You aren't alone. It looks like weather man has lied to us again today. This is getting depressing.

lew
03-26-2015, 12:54 PM
Theron, Our line were fully thawed yesterday, but no flow. Vac levels were where we left them before the hard single digit freezes, at 23 for one woods and 21 for the other. Wasn't supposed to freeze last night, but it did. Still no sap. Just returned from woods and same thing. Lines thawed and no sap. Had a thunderstorm go through and thought the heavy rain would start something, not yet.

PATheron
03-26-2015, 01:52 PM
Brandon- Seems like its starting late everywhere. Here at my house its just been too froze up and then when it thaws out the real feel will be too cold to let it run. Yesterday it was all thawed out and there was real high vac and it just wouldn't do anything. Today its running fairly good. It froze last night and its warmer today and raining and right now id say its running fair. The one woods with 3000 taps has a line that goes up high on the hill with 500 huge trees and its not doing anything. My trees still mostly have their roots froze up I think. Theron

5050racing
03-26-2015, 01:58 PM
It's coming thought this year was going to be bust get ready been rippin down in north jersey like never before I couldn't believe it till the runs we're having now!!!!

Jason Howles
03-26-2015, 04:17 PM
Run good for us over here in Crawford county yesterday and today. Got 17000 gal from 3500 taps We are having a good season. Already at 1/3 gal syrup per tap and from forcast we have have two more weeks to come yet. Looking good

doocat
03-26-2015, 05:47 PM
Started to run a little this afternoon but the forecast of 56 was not even close, barely hit 40......on the positive side sugar is up

Craig

cur dog
03-26-2015, 08:07 PM
I think we maxed out at 38 here today. The whole area seemed to be in a cloud. I wouldn't know what to do with 50 and sun.

Russell Lampron
03-27-2015, 05:11 AM
I think we maxed out at 38 here today. The whole area seemed to be in a cloud. I wouldn't know what to do with 50 and sun.

We hit 54* here yesterday. I heard on the news last night that it was the first time the temp had been 50* or above since December 1st.

Maplewalnut
03-27-2015, 07:15 AM
Finally let loose here overnight...no rhyme or reason but I am thankful. Almost 2 gallons per tap in 12 hours and still flowing strong. Only 34 degrees, go figure

Russell Lampron
03-27-2015, 07:24 AM
I have gotten some good runs at 34* in the past. So far this season not so much. Last year I had a run when the temp hovered around 32* all day with some wet and heavy snow coming down.

BreezyHill
03-27-2015, 07:53 AM
33 and snowing here. got about a gallon a tap yesterday.

Trees responding to the warm as the sugar was up early in the week to 3.4 one day...still have to check what last night was and yesterday afternoon.

slammer3364
03-28-2015, 12:28 AM
Yes we had some good runs at about 32 degrees which surprised me