PDA

View Full Version : "Hobbiest" Prices

DonMcJr
03-25-2015, 06:28 PM
Im a hobbiest Producer. What is everyone selling for at our level. I only sell 8 oz and 12 oz Glass Bottles and Im thinking $8 and $12.

I figure with being a small outfit we probably can charge a little more than the big guys with 1000+ taps.

So what does everyone here think for Hobbiest Prices...

buckeye gold
03-25-2015, 06:40 PM
I sell mine for $8.00 a 12 oz bottle and $20.00 a quart. That is the only sizes I sell. I have a buddy sells his 12 oz bottles for 9.50 and the local mennonites charge $10.00 a pint $ 19.00 a quart.

Ausable
03-25-2015, 06:45 PM
Don - I can't answer Your question. We use it at home or give it away to Family and Friends. If I were making Maple Syrup for money - I would have to have a least $1,000.00 a Gallon. I would not work this hard for anyone for just money - For me - Maple Syrup making is a labor of love - no price on it. lol

TerryEspo
03-25-2015, 07:33 PM
Hi Don:

Personally I find your prices a tad high,,,BUT, if you can sell it for that , go for it.

When my co-workers ask to buy a bottle or so , I calculate around $80 a gallon and then divide that for the quantity they want. No matter what I sell, pints, quarts, baby jar, gallon, etc. I get $80 a gallon.
I don't make anyone pay more per oz if they are buying a smaller quantity.

Half a pint is half price of a full pint, plain and simple.

Good luck with whatever you do, you will sell out this year due to your publicity, lol. $500 a gallon !!

Terry

Asthepotthickens
03-25-2015, 07:39 PM
I think flat pan wood fired syrup no (ro) is worth more. We get $80.00 per gallon. $12.00 for 500 ml

TonyL
03-25-2015, 07:53 PM
Ten dollars per 12oz glass bottle. Everything we make is sold a year in advance (just 14 gallons this year), and already have a waiting list for next year.

lyford
03-25-2015, 07:58 PM
I do the same as Terry, $80 a gallon, so $10 a pint no matter what amount they buy. No complaints yet.

West Sumner Sugar
03-25-2015, 08:04 PM
We are a tad above hobby but nothing huge. We have a 2x6, filter press, etc. Below are our prices and we sell out and have a waiting list every season.

Cedar Eater
03-25-2015, 08:59 PM
I don't sell (yet), but I don't think your prices are out of line. If anything, I would charge a tad more for the 8 Oz. and a tad less for the 12 Oz. You're charging $1 per Oz. for either, but you have to buy more containers per gallon and devote more labor per gallon for the smaller containers. People understand that price per ounce goes up as quantity goes down. That's true for honey, peanut butter, mustard, soda pop, etc.

Jonnyp390
03-25-2015, 09:33 PM
Don, those are the same prices I sold my syrup for last year to people at work. I was able to sell everything I wanted to and had no complaints, but this year I think I will sell 8oz glass for $7, 12 oz glass for $10, and 16oz glass for $12. Now I just hope I get a few decent runs, otherwise I will be driving north to buy some syrup from you:lol:

crazyjackcsa
03-25-2015, 09:34 PM
I end up with about 15 quarts a year. I keep half, I give away a little bit to family and very close friends, and I sell the rest (usually about six quarts) I'm in Canada, but I converted to U.S. sizes. I sell at $20 a quart, and I sell 1/2 pints and 1/4 pints.

The money goes back into improving my process, and expanding my operation. I mainly started selling because I was giving too much away. Everybody wants it for free, fewer people are willing to buy.

sugarmangraham
03-25-2015, 10:06 PM
Hey Don I think you are in the ballpark with those prices. I sell my 8oz for $8 and when I did do 12oz they were $10. My pints are $12 and quarts are $18. I have never had a problem selling out.

DonMcJr
03-25-2015, 11:11 PM
Why lower your prices if it sells? The way I see it is us smaller guys and gals work alot harder cause we fit it in with our full time jobs. Also I've been doing this for 4 years now and the price never goes up with inflation?!

Im sticking with a dollar an ounce. Heck back in the day an ounce of weed was what $100 and all you do is grow that and pick it lmao!

zandstrafarms
03-26-2015, 07:27 AM
Guys you also need to keep in mind bottle prices. Glass bottles are considered a novelty and honestly I would charge more for glass, especially the more advanced shapes. Heck, they cost an arm and a leg even bought in bulk! I bought my plastic pint jars for under a dollar each and quart size just over a dollar. Even have cute maple house design on them! I'll print my own labels online and voila! You could package both ways and give your customers a choice, but charge more for glass.

stoneslabs
03-26-2015, 07:42 AM
Prices in my area are in the $75 to $80/ per gallon range form local producers ( 2000 to 8000 taps ) they sell in plastic jugs only and for them it's a business.
as for me, I market my syrup as old fashioned, 100% natural maple syrup and sell in pint and quart mason jars for $12 and $20 respectively. my customers really like the mason jar and it sets me apart from other small producers in my area. I am considering going up to $15/pint and $25/quart this year.

harrison6jd
03-26-2015, 07:50 AM
I don't do it for the money but I also sell at a buck an ounce. we work too hard to sell it for less. especially when you are a small operation and it takes all day to get a gallon. if we did it for the money, we would make more just going to work that day. just my 2 cents.

onMcJr;276604]Why lower your prices if it sells? The way I see it is us smaller guys and gals work alot harder cause we fit it in with our full time jobs. Also I've been doing this for 4 years now and the price never goes up with inflation?!

Im sticking with a dollar an ounce. Heck back in the day an ounce of weed was what $100 and all you do is grow that and pick it lmao![/QUOTE]

bigschuss
03-26-2015, 01:13 PM
If anybody is working that hard as a "hobbyist" and worrying about prices doesn't that kind of make it not a hobby? I don't sell syrup. I don't worry about prices. I don't worry about my expenses. I don't worry if the sap isn't flowing. I can't even imagine what a gallon of syrup costs me to produce.

I get it...to feed the addiction somebody who starts out as a pure hobbyist adds on, makes more, begins selling, loses sleep, etc. To me, that would not be fun. Worring about prices, and overhead, and labor expenses, and time...nope, not for me. Sounds too much like work. Just my 2 cents..or 4 cents for 12 ounces. :)

Cedar Eater
03-26-2015, 01:27 PM
If anybody is working that hard as a "hobbyist" and worrying about prices doesn't that kind of make it not a hobby? I don't sell syrup. I don't worry about prices. I don't worry about my expenses. I don't worry if the sap isn't flowing. I can't even imagine what a gallon of syrup costs me to produce.

I get it...to feed the addiction somebody who starts out as a pure hobbyist adds on, makes more, begins selling, loses sleep, etc. To me, that would not be fun. Worring about prices, and overhead, and labor expenses, and time...nope, not for me. Sounds too much like work. Just my 2 cents..or 4 cents for 12 ounces. :)

I kind of get what you're saying, but I think if you enjoy making it, and you make way more than you consume, and you give away as much as you want to give away, and you still have a surplus, why not sell it? And then why not get as much of your expenses covered as you can get. It's not like the people who are buying it deserve to get it for less. I personally wouldn't want the hassle of running a store, but if I could make enough to supply some to a small store and give them a cut, I wouldn't lose any sleep over that. Some people sell things at farm markets and that's still a hobby, because selling stuff when you don't need the work is a hobby in itself for them. That's how they get their social fix.

As long as you don't start selling futures contracts and commit to certain production levels you can quit whenever it isn't fun.

bigschuss
03-26-2015, 02:18 PM
I kind of get what you're saying, but I think if you enjoy making it, and you make way more than you consume, and you give away as much as you want to give away, and you still have a surplus, why not sell it? And then why not get as much of your expenses covered as you can get. It's not like the people who are buying it deserve to get it for less. I personally wouldn't want the hassle of running a store, but if I could make enough to supply some to a small store and give them a cut, I wouldn't lose any sleep over that. Some people sell things at farm markets and that's still a hobby, because selling stuff when you don't need the work is a hobby in itself for them. That's how they get their social fix.

As long as you don't start selling futures contracts and commit to certain production levels you can quit whenever it isn't fun.

Great points. Yes, of course, I can see how hobbyists would like to sell off surplus syrup. Makes perfect sense. Someday I may decide to sell off syrup. I was just thinking that, if I actually added up my costs per gallon as a hobbyists, whether I charged $7 or $8 for a 8 oz. would not make a difference in the world to me in the big scheme of things, and I just wouldn't sweat it that much. I also have a hard time with the logic that small time hobbyists "work harder" than the big time guys (because we have day jobs) so therefore we can charge more??? It's a hobby. I am choosing to do this because it brings me enjoyment. Doesn't make sense to me to claim that my hobby is such hard work and therefore deserving of compensation.

n8hutch
03-26-2015, 02:44 PM
I Agree, working Harder is always A relative term. It might take us more physical Labor to collect the sap ,but otherwise the big guys have the same labor. They are just doing it on a larger scale, sure they might get more GPT ,but its no picknick chasing vac leaks or keeping pumps going . We get to have more Fun then the big guys for sure. Regardless sell for whatever you want. Maybe give a few Seniors or Vets a break, because w/o them none of us big or small would be making syrup.

TonyL
03-26-2015, 03:33 PM
Calling it a hobby shouldn't preclude one from trying to make some income from that hobby...hence the term "hobby farm", where it may not provide tangible income but may offer a small tax break. The notion that a hobby is just for fun is fine, but it's not necessarily a constant.....it is possible to have a hobby that pays some of its own way.

Sam Caruth
03-26-2015, 04:25 PM
Don, those prices are perfect. I sell the 8 and 12 Oz. as well. The same leader oval with handle bottles. The bottles alone are almost a dollar a piece. Plus wood, evaporator, finisher, filters, and all other costs. I sell mine for the same amount. If it is selling slow, then consider dropping the price. But I think you'll be alright.

Hannah
03-26-2015, 04:47 PM
I wanted to thank everyone for their input into this thread, it has given me lots of information.

Rangdale
03-26-2015, 04:48 PM
My daughter sold some at the PTA sponsored craft fair in November and we sold 1.7oz nips for $3 and 8oz bottles for $10. There were only about 30 little bottles and 20 1/2 pints but she sold it all in 2 hours.

saphound
03-26-2015, 04:51 PM
Why lower your prices if it sells? The way I see it is us smaller guys and gals work alot harder cause we fit it in with our full time jobs. Also I've been doing this for 4 years now and the price never goes up with inflation?!

Im sticking with a dollar an ounce. Heck back in the day an ounce of weed was what $100 and all you do is grow that and pick it lmao!
Lol Don, back in my day (class of '72) an oz was 20 bucks! :cool:

Edit: btw, a dollar an oz sounds very fair to me.

67HEAVEN
03-26-2015, 05:05 PM
Calling it a hobby shouldn't preclude one from trying to make some income from that hobby...hence the term "hobby farm", where it may not provide tangible income but may offer a small tax break. The notion that a hobby is just for fun is fine, but it's not necessarily a constant.....it is possible to have a hobby that pays some of its own way.

A good example of that is the guy who buys up an old run-down classic car, spends some time fixing it up, then drives it until he sells it. Then, the process starts all over again. :cool:

Cedar Eater
03-26-2015, 05:12 PM
Great points. Yes, of course, I can see how hobbyists would like to sell off surplus syrup. Makes perfect sense. Someday I may decide to sell off syrup. I was just thinking that, if I actually added up my costs per gallon as a hobbyists, whether I charged $7 or $8 for a 8 oz. would not make a difference in the world to me in the big scheme of things, and I just wouldn't sweat it that much. I also have a hard time with the logic that small time hobbyists "work harder" than the big time guys (because we have day jobs) so therefore we can charge more??? It's a hobby. I am choosing to do this because it brings me enjoyment. Doesn't make sense to me to claim that my hobby is such hard work and therefore deserving of compensation.

Deserving more doesn't really play into it for me. We can charge more if buyers are willing to pay more for "artisan" than for "factory". There's no reason not to price at whatever sells the product. There's no reason to feel it's wrong to sell at whatever price they'll pay. It's not like they're being forced to buy. It's not like we're misrepresenting the product.

RustyBuckets
03-26-2015, 05:27 PM
This has got to be the most ignorant comment I have ever heard from a guy with 40 taps. Go ahead and spend some time with a producer with hundreds or thousands of more taps then you, with 10's of thousands invested in equipment and yet the vast majority of us have full time jobs too.Default

Moser's Maple
03-26-2015, 05:51 PM
I think flat pan wood fired syrup no (ro) is worth more.
This is your opinion and as a 2000 tap operation this offends me slightly. I have a RO, filter press, ss storage vessels, and everything possible to keep the sap/syrup as sanitary as possible, but because of the RO my stuff is in theory not as good. I personally think a fair syrup price is what the going market value in your area is. if you would like to charge more, then that is your choice, I hope you can sell at the higher price because that is the joy of free markets and sales strategy. What I disagree with is dumbing down another producers product. Maple believe it or not is a small community, and there's no need to throw a different process of making syrup under the bus just to make a sale.

The way I see it is us smaller guys and gals work alot harder cause we fit it in with our full time jobs.
I also respectfully disagree with this comment. Like stated before I have a 2000 tap operation, a full time job, a wife, 2 daughters (4 and 7) and I make 600+ gallons of syrup into value added confections each year. work is a relative term, what may be hard for you may not be for me, and vice versa.......the best statement here is Maple is hard work, and we should feel confident in what we charge for our products because we know how much work goes into creating them.

buckeye gold
03-26-2015, 05:56 PM
wow did this thread go off into the fire! I never even consided who worked harder, I assume anyone making syrup is not returning a high value per hour for their labor. I would guess it's expodential and the bigger you are the more hours you spend annually and when you divide that against margin I bet no one is making any wages worth crowing about. I always assummed syrupers done it first because they like doing it. Heck I'm not worried about what I sell it for, but I'll get what the market will easily bear. The fact is I give away more value than I gain in sells. If I can pay for my supplies I'm happy, the rest is because I like doing it and making people happy.....that is why I am a hobby producer. I have been part of a bigger for profit operation and I'll tell you it has way more demands than running out for an hour or two collecting 100 or so gallons of sap and then spending a few hours boiling. I take maybe a couple or three darws a day. I remember watching my dad and his friends taking almost constant draws and trying to keep up with packing, head tanks firing etc. I remember those days and that is why I only do this as a hobby. A bad year means I lose a couple hundred or maybe four hundred dollars....a bad year for a large producer means thousands perhaps. I respect everyones work and am surprised this is even discusable.

TonyL
03-26-2015, 08:01 PM
I don't believe in throwing anyone under the bus, but I see nothing wrong in playing to one's own strengths. As an example, what's wrong with saying the syrup you made on a simple, flat pan evaporator was made: "like your grandfather and great-grandfather made syrup"? Or referring to your small, 2 gallon batches as "artismal"? Or concentrating a little more on the package and presentation?

Lots of folks make syrup, with lots of different approaches.....tubing, buckets, vacuum, continuous pans vs. batch, RO, filter presses vs. gravity through a cone, plastic or glass......the trick is to set yours apart. Play to your strengths. If you have a large operation, tout the fact that you produce a large quantity of syrup at a time, for a more uniform product. If you have a small operation, equate your small batches with winemaking, and celebrate the distinctiveness of each batch. It is possible to find your strengths, and leverage them, without beating down those who do it differently.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/sprkplugphoto/30A23B26-8B4C-4C25-A35E-63734844AFAA_zpsxpq5z1zp.png (http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/sprkplugphoto/media/30A23B26-8B4C-4C25-A35E-63734844AFAA_zpsxpq5z1zp.png.html)

DonMcJr
03-26-2015, 08:50 PM
I never said we all dont work hard to make maple syrup and I never intended to offend anyone. Period.

What i dont understand is why the big producers sell it so cheap! Especially if your a big producer who also has another full time job! That is something I didnt know...yes you work your *** off more than me if you have 2000 taps and goto another job every day!

I think we all should rethink what our syrup is really worth...

I am not trying to make a profit...heck if I add hours and money invested id never make a profit. BUT I do sell my surplus to re-invest in my hobby.

When I get people saying " well I can goto "Xxxx" Producer and get it alot cheaper" it makes me mad! "XXxx" producer should be getting as much as me with all their hard work!

Yep Im so ignorant...

Bottom line all Pure Maple Syrup should be worth the same.

I feel the prices should be set by the Oz and ML. So if I can get $8 for an 8oz bottle all day long everyone should. That means Big Producers should be selling for $128 a gallon.... but thats just me. I like things simple and easy and alot of things such as this is so **** complitcated and for what?

RustyBuckets
03-26-2015, 09:40 PM
Finding a retail market for a few gallons of syrup is a lot different than finding a retail market for hundreds of gallons. You may find a few people to buy at those high prices but you sure are not going to find hundreds of consumers willing to pay that price. Then there is the Canada, the Global Strategic Reserve, the strength of the american dollar vs the canadian dollar that sets the market prices. Its more than just saying everyone should sell at a dollar a gallon, we would be sitting on tons of syrup with no market and syrup producers going out of business. Then there is the whole supply and demand thing that gets in the way too lmao.

DonMcJr
03-26-2015, 10:48 PM
So you really think if every Maple Syrup Producer charged $1 a ounce no one would buy it? I can bet you 90% will not try and make it themselves! I know they would still buy it!

Its worse with honey prices... I sell by the pound another person by liqid oz...etc...

1tapattack
03-26-2015, 11:38 PM
I never said we all dont work hard to make maple syrup and I never intended to offend anyone. Period.
actually Don you did.....you basically said small works harder because of a day job??? see below

The way I see it is us smaller guys and gals work alot harder cause we fit it in with our full time jobs

So you really think if every Maple Syrup Producer charged $1 a ounce no one would buy it? I can bet you 90% will not try and make it themselves! I know they would still buy it!

it's a simple fact if you charge too much for something, people will find a cheaper alternative. like stated before prices can be regionalized. so you may be able to get $1 an ounce because you may be in an area where producers are not as plentiful. other places you will be hard pressed to see those numbers. would you pay $400 for a cord of firewood????? that's hard work, finite amount of resources to get it, and an investment must be made to produce it. I think not, and may other consumers would do the same. they would just burn oil, propane, or use electric. Another example....gas prices go high, so what does the consumer do? that's right they buy electric cars. maple is a novelty, but what makes it special is that is a healthy alternative sweetener to conventional sugars. the problem is to entice the public to want to except it. and that's just not going to happen at $128/gallon.
you ask why "big" producers sell so cheap. First let me just state that 2000 taps is not big, that's just a glorified hobby operation. But since you have been around this industry for 4 years then you understand about bulk syrup and prices of bulk, if not let me explain because I'm also a newbie and find this informative. Let's say for example bulk price is set at $3.00/lb in canada, because this is the price that fits the available market. currently the exchange rate says the canadian dollar is only worth .78 american so that puts current US bulk price around 2.34/lb. 2.34/lb times 11.3 lbs per gallon gives us a bulk price of $26.45. Now if I sell a gallon of syrup for $45 dollars, then I have marked up that syrup roughly 70%. That's a pretty good mark up for retail sales. the smaller sizes I think are easier to get more money per ounce, but they also involve more labor.
So I guess what I'm trying to say is if priced too high consumers will just go to the fake stuff,
before you get all up in arms you should reread what you may have earlier posted
I'm a newbie, and by no means do not know everything about maple, but you being a producer for only 4 years, you maybe should just sit back, take advantage of all the information on this site, read a little bit, learn a little bit, and think about it before you just start rambling off posts.
just one newbie to another newbie Don. plus the female in me wonders why you males must just jump off a ledge when contrary, but informative information is brought into the picture.

DonMcJr
03-27-2015, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the info...and thanks for requoting what I said that already offended some especially when I said I never meant to offend anyone!

People in this world just seem to want to agrue and be right all the time...and I could care less whos right.

Bottom line I wanted to know what other Hobby Folks were charging...and wondered why Big Producers charges less...

I understand now...its all greed!

If everyone agreed to the same price then folks would go to whos closer, who's nicer or whatever...when they run out then they'd got to the next guy...ect.

I dont need the extra money from my syrup but its nice to make money from your hobby...but after this thread I might just give all mine away lol cause theres obviously some greedy people that are just out to start fights...and im done internet fighting lol!

Thanks to the folks that understood what I was asking in the first place and those that know I would never try to offend anyone ever.

DonMcJr
03-27-2015, 01:30 AM
Also for clairification i said " I never meant to offend anyone"

In my world that means I said something that offended someone and I'm sorry...

Not sure what it means in your world...