PDA

View Full Version : New guy first timer

Craig M
03-25-2015, 12:51 AM
I thought I would share a couple pictures of my first attempt at a hobby sized sugaring operation. I’m using a 12x16 prefab shed as a sugarhouse and bought an 18” X 36” drop flue evaporator from a local Amish tin shop. I added a cupola to the shed and will do windows, wood shed and paint in the off season. My intentions were to provide a fun hobby and good memories for my family and to make enough syrup for our use. I have about 140 taps on mostly soft maples on nearby property. I made my first actual syrup last week and was surprised how rewarding a mason jar could be!! I remember very little from my families operation when I was a young kid so I have been doing plenty of research over the last couple years and still have a lot to learn. Thanks for looking.

Ausable
03-25-2015, 03:41 AM
Hey! Thanks for sharing.

DonMcJr
03-25-2015, 03:47 AM
Awesome! Welcome to the adiction!

maple flats
03-25-2015, 05:08 AM
If the pans won't boil real hard, add more air inlet, under the grates, even on the side opposite the fill door. Have fun!

RC Maple
03-25-2015, 07:27 AM
Looks like you're off to a good start! At 140 taps you should definitely be able to cover your own syrup needs. It's a great thing for the family to do too. I wish I had the notion to do this sooner. When I started my oldest was off to college for his freshman year. Best of luck to you.

optionguru
03-25-2015, 09:03 AM
We started for the same reason, wanted something cool and outdoors to do with the kids. Tapped a few trees and had lots of friends and family stop by which got the wife completely on board. Working on a sugar shack for next season to make things a bit more comfortable. Looks like you leap frogged right ahead, have a great season.

Craig M
03-25-2015, 02:11 PM
Well my oldest is almost 3 so he helps gather by riding on the tractor and my youngest is 2 months so it'll be a while before he can do much. I'd say it boils pretty hard; when I pay attention and keep firing at a consistent time the door is glowing and there are sparks coming out of the stack. It is averaging around around 12.5 GPH which I didn't think was too bad for an 18X36. I've yet to really push it and see what I can get out of it.

wobbletop
03-25-2015, 02:44 PM
Very jealous.

How steamy does it get in there with everything going full boil?

Craig M
03-25-2015, 06:48 PM
Really not bad at all, the cupola does well. If it's cold out some steam will linger in the rafters but i can see everyone in the sugarhouse.

Snappyssweets
03-28-2015, 06:29 AM
Well Craig M now you did it.
I am already planning on laying down some block for a floor. Building a combined barrel arch evaporator set up and building a small sugar house out of pallet leftovers this summer. Expanding our ability for next year to the rest of our property and likely our neighbors properties as well. As a teenager I did some tapping for something to do. I actually decided simply to add Maple Syrup as a product this year to our small home operation. I do Jam and Jellies. I had to devise ways and recipes for my jam that only used sugar and fruit. One of our daughters has sever food allergies and thus could not have store bought nor could she have pectin like sure gel. As most natural pectin is apple, and she is allergic to them that was out too. Upon telling others whom we know what I did everyone began to tell me how they would love to buy product that was pure sugar and fruit only. Hence here I am now.

We are looking to do a little expanding in things this year. Maple being the first. Next year I am looking at bees and honey.
I use and will continue to use Mason Jars. I also am looking at this year. If they bring back a good mason jar I will give then $1 off. Kind of a way of getting jars back reusing them and recycling.