PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Fryer Boiling Problem

sr73087
03-24-2015, 05:56 PM
So I have been having this problem since I began boiling with my turkey fryer a few years back. The issue I have is that once the propane tank gets less than maybe half full the boil becomes very weak and the gph goes way down (almost nothing). Then I end up exchanging the tank that still has some propane in it because I can't really use it. Is this a common issue?

PerryW
03-24-2015, 06:17 PM
does the tank get a layer of ice on it? you could try switching to a new tank and bringing the half-full one indoors to warm up. or stick it in a washtub of hot water.

KV Sappers
03-24-2015, 08:44 PM
So I have been having this problem since I began boiling with my turkey fryer a few years back. The issue I have is that once the propane tank gets less than maybe half full the boil becomes very weak and the gph goes way down (almost nothing). Then I end up exchanging the tank that still has some propane in it because I can't really use it. Is this a common issue?
I have the same problem. I have 3 burners connected to one tank. I started with a 20# tank then went to a 30#. The 30# worked better but once it got to about 1/2 one of my burners would go out. I can boil about 4 hrs with the 30# tank before it cuts out one of the burners. I never tried the warm water bath, but that seems like it certainly would be worth a try.

Cedar Eater
03-24-2015, 09:53 PM
Find a way to heat your tank. The propane inside is most likely getting so cold from the boiloff of liquid propane that it slows the boiloff. A hot water bath, electric blanket, hair dryer, heating pad, etc., will help. A partially full tank will float on a water bath so you might have to restrain it.

sr73087
03-25-2015, 04:40 AM
Thanks guys, I will give it a shot. It definitely makes sense, I know on the small propane tanks for buddy heaters or portable gas grills they sell little neoprene covers to try and keep them warm.

maple flats
03-25-2015, 05:04 AM
Try finding a way to warm the tank a little while still in use. The issue is that the propane cools as it vaporizes, the same as water does as it vaporizes. Another thing that can help some or in conjunction with is to lay the tank on it's side, or at a slant, leaning the top ring (handle) on something. This gives you a larger surface area to evaporate from inside the tank. The rate it evaporates is directly related to both propane temperature AND surface area. Thus, warming it and tilting the tank addresses both.