PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Pan newbie question

bonus18
03-24-2015, 11:41 AM
Just seeing how some of you finish your maple syrup.

My step up involves using a 2 x 4 x 3" pan along with a 2 x 6 x 3" pan that I fill with sap to boil down. I generally boil anywhere from 400 - 500 litres of sap in one boil.

Both surfaces are exposed to high heat of the wood burning fire underneath.

As the sap dissolves from 1 of the pans, I eventually reduce from 2 pans to 1. The tricky part is lifting the hot pan off of the heat source and pouring the hot sap into the other pan. At times, I have scotched the bottom of the pan. In addition, once the remaining pan is boiled down to about 213 degree I remove it from the heat source and pour the remaining liquid into a large circular pot to then finish the sap on a turkey boiler propane element.

My reason for transitioning from the pan to the pot is the worry that the sap will burn quickly and I ruin the entire batch. Secondly, I can control the temperature of the turkey fryer as opposed to the firewood being added to the fire.

Am I making this more difficult for myself or am I on the right track?

Thanks as always.

COMSTOCK MAPLES
03-24-2015, 11:53 AM
That sounds right to me. I had similar process going a couple years ago. Friends of mine do the same thing but they finish inside on a stove. Good luck to ya.

n8hutch
03-24-2015, 12:33 PM
Sounds like you have it pretty much down. If you start with 400 L of sap you will have about 10 L when finished. That would leave you with roughly a 1/2 inch of syrup in your 2x4 pan when you reached syrup . that would be cutting it pretty close. I think your probably doing it the best way you can. Might try to go to 215-6 maybe. Whatever your comfortable with.