PDA

View Full Version : Burnt Pan

theschist
03-23-2015, 08:36 PM
Ok, so this isn't the first time I've burnt my pan, but this time warped the last section pretty good. Can I take a plastic deadblow hammer and try to flatten it again? Should I be afraid of damaging the pan any further? I just don't want shallow spots in the hottest part of my pans.

PerryW
03-24-2015, 06:47 AM
If it is leaking (and needs to be soldered), I'd try the hammer.

Mine is warped from 20 years ago and I just left the warp in it. I just run it a little deeper.

buckeye gold
03-24-2015, 08:26 AM
I agree, just run your sap deeper

Russell Lampron
03-24-2015, 08:27 AM
I have 2 front pans for my evaporator and have burnt both of them pretty bad. I had to try to straighten them because they wouldn't sit on the evaporator flat enough for the pan gasket to seal. I was able to make them pretty flat but not perfect without cracking them. A hammer and a 2x4 worked to hammer down from the inside after pounding the bottom flat from the underside.

nacc
03-24-2015, 09:18 AM
Well after three years i finally did it--I am running a 2x4 smoky lake flat pan on a Mason arch, I run the pan with about 20 gallons in it ( I thought for saftey) I had boiled down about 180 gallons and thought that a little more before I finish it off would be fine---Wife came out to tell me breakfast was ready so with th fire low and 20 gallons of liquid in the pan I went in for french toast and coffee ( how could I resist) so here I am sitting in the house seeing a little steam comming out and then it got heavier by the time i got to the shack it was like Atlantis comming up out of the pan over a big chard island of surgar 4 inches above the 20 gallons of liquid. Lukly I was able to clean the pan, it is a little warped on the bottom but back in business. I now have talked my bride into making mine to go and delived right to the shack ( what a doll).

eustis22
03-24-2015, 09:40 AM
The Pan. It KNOWS when you desert it, bro.

nacc
03-24-2015, 09:43 AM
yes it does

theschist
03-24-2015, 10:59 AM
Thanks everyone for the help. I think I will try to just smooth it a little and the run a little deeper. Took a few hour to scrape the char off, but it's shiny now!!