PDA

View Full Version : Hydrometer cleaning

Paul VT
03-23-2015, 04:27 PM
How are people cleaning the white coating from there hydrometer? I was told to soak it in vinegar. Been doing this for almost 2 weeks. No change.
Thanks in advance.

Ausable
03-23-2015, 05:24 PM
I have never had that problem. Usually - I have syrup on mine and I rinse it off in a pail of water and finger clean and dry with a paper towel. I do this several times during a boil and never gave it much thought - till You asked. lol Now the Neigh Sayers will chime in and beat us both up. lol

vermontpure
03-23-2015, 08:30 PM
I use mine several times during a boil and never got a white film. To clean i just wash with hot water and towel dry.

Paul VT
03-23-2015, 09:01 PM
The glass is cloudy on the outside from 5 years of use. I do clean it off with water after each use. At the maple conference they said to make sure this is removed because it will effect the weight of it. I believe they said use vinegar. It's not working.

n8hutch
03-24-2015, 06:06 AM
That's interesting, I tried soaking A syrup pan In vinegar and it worked remarkably well in some places & didn't touch others.
We used Ice water to clean coffee pots in a restraunt I worked in when I was a kid but I don't think you want to shake your hydro in a pail of Ice.
Might be easier to get a new one as horrible as that is to say. Good luck

Woodland Acres
03-24-2015, 06:32 AM
You should have a spare one anyways as accidents happen and it can be switched back and forth as to make sure the other is accurate

PerryW
03-24-2015, 06:43 AM
One of mine has the white film, but it reads the same as a newer one that doesn't have the film.

I'm guessing you could use the same acid that they use to clean the pans.