PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question

Snappyssweets
03-23-2015, 01:08 PM
Well this is a throw out to see what others do.

I am new to making syrup for the most part. I have done a pint or two in the past just for the sake of doing it. But this is the first year I have ever done anything more. Anyhow the question I have is this.

What does everyone else do with the remains out of the final filtration after you have boiled to syrup and filtered into the bottles?
I ask only because the filtration we are using is a layered cheese cloth about 5 folds thick. I then take that and set it on a cookie sheet.
I wring out any and all syrup out of this and scrape the top layer onto the sheet. It has a darker coloration.

In cane production this is the Molasses. So I have been taking it pan drying on low in oven and scraping it off. Kids love it. I figure it will make a great sweetener in my baked beans. So I was curious what do others do? Just throw it away?

Run Forest Run!
03-23-2015, 02:58 PM
Check out this thread Snappyssweets.
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?21018-Is-it-safe-to-consume-cloudy-syrup-with-nitre-(niter)

You shouldn't eat the niter. It's very a different end product than what you get when creating molasses. Also, don't wring out proper sugaring filters as that will ruin them (while I suppose wringing out cheesecloth is not that big a deal). To make use of the remaining syrup and sugars caught in the filters, put them in the freezer and then gently dip them in your next pan of warming sap. Be careful not to dump the niter into that sap. Once the filters have been dipped in the warm sap, spoon out the niter and then rinse the filters in the sink and let them dry.

Cedar Eater
03-23-2015, 03:08 PM
According to DrTimPerkins, the niter from maple syrup is a laxative. I'm not sure what other questionable properties it has, but I read somewhere here that they use it for deworming cattle. I've been thinking of seeing what happens when it gets mixed with chicken feed.

maple flats
03-23-2015, 03:45 PM
Don't filter it using cheese cloth, that is far too course, even with 5+ layers. Get a min. of 3 pre filters and 1 final filter, either cone or flat. Then place all 3 pre filters on top of the syrup filter, and pour the HOT syrup on or in them. If the top pre filter gets plugged, carefully remove it while you allow the remaining syrup to flow into or onto the remaining ones. Repeat if necessary. When done, allow the filters to continue to drain, where insects etc. can't get to them. When all has drained, you can wash the filters and use again. Never twist them, only squeeze only. Clean with clean HOT water only, no soap or anything else. If you want to experiment with the niter, go ahead, but it is usually thrown out. Back in the days of leaded gas, the niter filtered from syrup made using roadside trees contained among other things, lead. The rest is mainly minerals that settled out as the syrup became super saturated.

Ausable
03-23-2015, 03:59 PM
According to DrTimPerkins, the niter from maple syrup is a laxative. I'm not sure what other questionable properties it has, but I read somewhere here that they use it for deworming cattle. I've been thinking of seeing what happens when it gets mixed with chicken feed.

Those Free Range - Organic Hens - might lay some "Special" Eggs - Just for You...lol

Cedar Eater
03-23-2015, 04:29 PM
Those Free Range - Organic Hens - might lay some "Special" Eggs - Just for You...lol

I might end up with chickens that are loose as a goose. :o