PDA

View Full Version : How Low do you go?

DonMcJr
03-23-2015, 03:39 AM
I have a leader half pint. This year i bought Smoky Lakes Complete Steam Filter/Bottler and I love it! Of course I sat there wondering if its possible to really get finished syrup off a half pint then I could draw right into my Smoky Lake Filter Pan!

So my question...how low do you go? I got just a tad under an inch in depth and chickened out going any lower...Highest temp I hit at draw off has been 213 F this year. If I go down to a half inch will I draw off syrup and whats the lowest I can go before it goes poof?

Super Sapper
03-23-2015, 05:25 AM
You can draw syrup off at 1 inch or 2 inches you just have to give it time.

wnybassman
03-23-2015, 05:27 AM
It's not a matter of going lower, but maintaining your comfort depth and keep adding sap until you reach the syrup draw-off temperature. It should be possible with the halfpint, but most of the channels might be syrup to reach that temp.

buckeye gold
03-23-2015, 06:27 AM
It all depends on how much your adding, but when you draw you will have to open the feeder valve a bunch and push your syrup to then draw off valve. Then just watch your temperature for a stopping point. I had a half pint for 4 years and got pretty good at doing this. I would still draw off at 218-219 and stop at 217 and finish on propane for control. You could probably let it set and finish a degree or two in your steam filter, it will steam off some there. You have to watch like a hawk and have an "OH ****" bucket ready.

lakeview maple
03-23-2015, 07:09 AM
On my old evaporator a 2 x 6 leader , I could draw syrup right off the arch without having to finish it else where. I would run 3/4 of an inch in it and watch the thermometer and start to draw at 219, I also had the Oh s..t bucket of sap sitting there in case I got distracted , never happened but close .

DonMcJr
03-23-2015, 04:39 PM
I think Im losing heat this year because the firebrick fell off in the drawoff corner...just 2 half bricks on the front corner... I got to 217 F last year running higher. I've ran almost 300 gallons through it this year and its not coming close to drawoff at all.

Gonna run it at an inch next boil and keep it there...

Im thinking an upgrade is in order for next year...

Recommendations for 100 taps auto float fill and auto drawoff?

sutphenj
03-23-2015, 07:37 PM
Don - I have a smoky lake 2X4 high efficiency raised flu setup I run for 90+ taps and I'm able draw into a filter pan from the syrup pan. For my 90-100 taps it's sized perfectly....(can get 30+GPH if I'm paying attention to things)

DonMcJr
03-23-2015, 09:07 PM
Question...it seems Smoky Lake only sells pans...where do you get the arch from?

sutphenj
03-23-2015, 10:18 PM
I got an arch from Jim...although any sized 2×4 arch would do.

DonMcJr
03-23-2015, 11:14 PM
So jim sells the arch too?

sutphenj
03-24-2015, 01:12 PM
Yes....at least when I purchased the set a couple years back I was able to oder an arch.

3GoatHill
03-25-2015, 12:48 AM
I have an older Algiers model, similar to the Half Pint. How long can you boil on the Half Pint, or similar rig, before you have to shut it down to clean out the ashes. I boiled the other night for about 14 hours and the ashes were starting to get a little high.

DonMcJr
03-25-2015, 03:33 AM
I boil sometimes 18 hrs at a time and ash is never a problem. I clean it out before every boil with an ash vacuum.