PDA

View Full Version : coconut oil for defoamer

Muskytooth
03-22-2015, 10:58 PM
Anyone using coconut oil as a defoamer? We are looking for an organic option but want to avoid the vegetable oils.

Opinions or ideas?

maple flats
03-23-2015, 04:53 AM
I never heard of that being approved for organic. The only 2 I've heard are canola or safflower oils. There may be others.

BreezyHill
03-23-2015, 09:14 AM
Anyone using coconut oil as a defoamer? We are looking for an organic option but want to avoid the vegetable oils.

Opinions or ideas?

Curious as to why to avoid canola oil(veg oils)...my future daughter in law is allergic to soy products and doesn't care for coconut flavor so we use canola as the allergist said it is very rare to have this allergy.

We have coconut oil in the house but it is used to soften wounds like abrasions and for dry weathered skin. Works great!

Thanks

Ben

silveradomaple
03-23-2015, 09:33 AM
I would be a bit shy about using coconut oil. I'd be afraid of it leaving a bit of flavor in my syrup.

beaglebriar
03-23-2015, 09:46 PM
I'm using Canola and have been very happy with the result.

BlueberryHill
03-23-2015, 10:32 PM
I tried "fractionated" coconut oil and it defoamed well. I asked my wife for some organic Canola(what I used last year) and she was out, but said she had this. It's refined so it has no taste or scent. Syrup I just made was excellent. I'm sure this stuff is stupid expensive though. I'll switch back to canola once we have more. Seems to work the same but the one drawback is that when it gets too cold (maybe under 50 deg?) the stuff wants to gel up. Melts back up real easy though if you set it near the steam.

Worcester
03-27-2015, 10:40 PM
we use organic ngmo canola. just a drop from a twig at a time does it. no taste to it.
Coconut oil would work, but the taste is strong in most coconut oils, i wouldn't use it myself.
sunflower oil is also a nice traditional, regional oil that could be used.