PDA

View Full Version : Caps

Bush
03-22-2015, 12:43 AM
I bottle is glass bottles, and have always had the white caps with the cardboard like seal in the top. I would tighten them till tight and lay on there side for a bit. This year my supplier gave me brown tamper evident caps that don't have that type of seal ( they look just like what you would find on a pop bottle). I am not sure how tight to tighten them because if I tighten them as much as I did with the other style they seem to strip and go loose again. Also when I lay them on there side to sterilize the caps they seem to leak, I know I am doing something wrong just not sure what.
Thanks

maple flats
03-22-2015, 06:07 AM
If you tighten them and they strip, the caps are not right for the bottle you have. However, I find the better caps are plastic and have a thin plastic "seal" attached to the inside of the cap (applied hot at factory).
After you tip the bottles, don't try to retighten them (if you were). Ask dealer if the caps are right for those bottles. The proper cap will snug tight without stripping and without torquing to the max., and will not leak when laid down hot.

lmathews
03-22-2015, 06:58 AM
If there is no seal I will guarantee that you will have mold show on the top of a portion as they sit.I had this problem as well with caps like you are describing with a 25% fail rate.

brookledge
03-22-2015, 07:03 AM
I would check with your supplier to see if you were given the correct cap
Keith

Bush
03-22-2015, 10:18 AM
Thank you everyone for the advice do far. They are closed today, but I will call them first thing tomorrow. Thought I would attach a picture of the caps I have.

chandler37
05-10-2015, 07:13 PM
I have been buying bottles from one supplier for over ten years; using the red maple leaf metal caps with 100% satisfaction. This year I used another vendor, same brown cardboard box, same style of glass. The vendor supplied me with white plastic caps instead of metal caps. About twenty cases into bottling we notice when laying the bottles down that some where leaking. What I found was I had two type of glass; again I repeat the boxes are identical and the glass looks the same. Except!! Looking at the threads I had two distinctive types of threads. Some bottles had a "one revolution thread" lets call it course thread, and some bottles had a " one and half revolution thread", lets call that fine thread.
To make a long story short I determined the "course thread" is for metal caps and the "fine thread" is for plastic caps. And mixing glass them is a bottling disaster.
Putting the cap on the wrong bottle causes the cap to feel tight, but not sealed. Just like trying to put a fine thread nut on a course thread bolt.
Remember I said the boxes and bottles look the same except for the type of thread. Now with the caps on it is impossible to tell is it sealed or jammed?
Consequently I have some twenty cases laying on there side waiting to see how many are going to leak and prove not to be sealed.

Marvel26
05-11-2015, 05:32 PM
I have been buying bottles from one supplier for over ten years; using the red maple leaf metal caps with 100% satisfaction. This year I used another vendor, same brown cardboard box, same style of glass. The vendor supplied me with white plastic caps instead of metal caps. About twenty cases into bottling we notice when laying the bottles down that some where leaking. What I found was I had two type of glass; again I repeat the boxes are identical and the glass looks the same. Except!! Looking at the threads I had two distinctive types of threads. Some bottles had a "one revolution thread" lets call it course thread, and some bottles had a " one and half revolution thread", lets call that fine thread.
To make a long story short I determined the "course thread" is for metal caps and the "fine thread" is for plastic caps. And mixing glass them is a bottling disaster.
Putting the cap on the wrong bottle causes the cap to feel tight, but not sealed. Just like trying to put a fine thread nut on a course thread bolt.
Remember I said the boxes and bottles look the same except for the type of thread. Now with the caps on it is impossible to tell is it sealed or jammed?
Consequently I have some twenty cases laying on there side waiting to see how many are going to leak and prove not to be sealed.

Sounds like a different closure ...this might help : http://www.packagingcrashcourse.com/closures-101/