PDA

View Full Version : Thumping arch

Urban Sugarmaker
03-21-2015, 03:10 PM
So today my arch is making a thumping noise. Almost like a popping. Thougts?

beaglebriar
03-21-2015, 03:32 PM
Could be gases detonating in your firebox????

PerryW
03-21-2015, 03:55 PM
mine does this when it's warming up. I think its just thermal expansion of the various pieces of the arch fighting each other.

pennslytucky
03-21-2015, 04:11 PM
mine huffs from the draft backing up right after i load wood if its real dry fluffy punky wood. sounds like a chinook taking off. only does it for a few seconds then smooths back out

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-21-2015, 04:38 PM
dont get scared and shut down like i did. keep her rolling

Urban Sugarmaker
03-22-2015, 01:12 AM
Well I did get scared and shut it down. I thought the sound was fire bricks disintegrating. I thought that would lead to a meltdown. Fortunately not the case. I restarted and it went away eventually. Noticed it again on shutdown. Turned out to be large air bubble pops at random places throughout the pan. Thanks for the help guys. I just get anxious about the unknown with a new rig. Safety is the main thing, but now I am getting used to this and really enjoying it.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-22-2015, 06:10 AM
mine was thunmping and roaring one night. I thought a buddy pulled in the driveway with his loud truck. went out to meet him no one there. went back in heard the locomotive noise again, like what the heck, went to back of arch where stack was couldnt believe what i was hearing ran did an emergency shut down. i will keep it going if i ever hear it again