PDA

View Full Version : Can't get almost syrup up to temp for a draw off.

GramaCindy
03-21-2015, 04:42 AM
Okay gals and gals, I HOPE that you can help me figure this out. I was boiling yesterday for 6 hours. Super sweet pan, drew off almost syrup for 2.5 hours, then it just would not move past 3-4* above the boiling point for 4 more hours. I kept adding sap at a slow rate, kept level in the pan, fired, and fired and fired. The stuff in the two middle sections of my 2x4 Mason are quite dark. I even checked it several times with a hydrometer thinking my thermometer was off. Nope. Nothing. My sap is fresh, sweet and cold. Using my Smokey Lake preheater. All was just tuned in perfectly. What gives? Made for a long frustrating day. I plan on draining the sweet off this morning, and cleaning the pan. But at this rate, I'm not sure I want to use the super sweet to start.

Ontario Ian
03-21-2015, 05:30 AM
not sure if you checked your sugar content in the sap, but it sounds like its low. mine was at 1% the other day, takes a lot more sap at that level, and a lot more time. we had a little run yesterday and the sugar was up to 2%.

GramaCindy
03-21-2015, 06:56 AM
The sap tasted pretty sweet to me. I don't have a sap hydrometer.

sbingham
03-21-2015, 08:21 AM
Most likely the low sugar content, mine has been consistently below 2% this year.
I cook on a 2x6 Mason continuous flow, cooked down 100 gallons of sap before I was able to take the first syrup draw.
Hopefully it gets better this week.

Sugarmaker
03-21-2015, 12:07 PM
Yes, sounds like it might be low sugar content? Your not new at this so what is different? Make sure the plug or valve is tight from the rear pan is closed/tight, on the draw off side.
BTW, That sure is a nice looking sugarhouse!
Regards,
Chris

Paul VT
03-21-2015, 03:32 PM
I have seen when somebody I know was burning wood that wasn't dry he could not get the temperature high enough to make sryup. Just a thought.

PerryW
03-21-2015, 04:00 PM
here's a few possible other reasons:

1) You are running too deep.
2) If your evaporator has a reversible flow, make sure you have the plugs in the correct position so the sap takes the longest possible path between the cold sap inlet and the syrup draw-off.
3) Your heating unevenly. If you boil like crazy for while, then let the fire die out, you lose gradient.

The bottom line is, if you're making steam, you will eventually make syrup, so concentrate on making steam.

wnybassman
03-21-2015, 05:46 PM
I cook on a 2x6 Mason continuous flow, cooked down 100 gallons of sap before I was able to take the first syrup draw.

That sounds pretty good to me. I ran 125 gallons on my 18x60 before I saw syrup.

GramaCindy
03-22-2015, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the tips and advice everyone. It must have been low sugar. Wood's dry as a bone and pine, re-fire it as needed, (I keep it roaring basically) After I cleaned the pan yesterday morning, and fired it up, I was drawing off like crazy. I filtered the sweet as I took it out before cleaning. Holy NITER Batman! I have just never had that happen before.