PDA

View Full Version : Boiling over when stll need to remove a gallon of water

Weekend_Warrior
03-20-2015, 08:41 AM
Am a small batch hobbiest. I ussually boil less than 50 gal of sap at a time. When I am about done, I find that the "almost syrup" starts to boil over like it about ready to burn. So I panic and throw some more sap into the pan if I am outside. Or, turn the stove off if I am inside for the last part. But I find that I stll need to boil to remove a fair amount is water. Any idea what is going on?

psparr
03-20-2015, 08:43 AM
Need to add defoamer or canola oil. It is a normal part of sugaring. Last year my sap wanted to boil over from the very start. Even with defoamer.

CampHamp
03-20-2015, 09:14 AM
As you get closer to syrup, the viscosity slows the bubbles and the boil can be two or three times the depth of the standing liquid or more. A drop or two of oil, as psparr says. Also, a bigger pot or multiple pots. I boiled over my first year on the stove and it was a nightmare cleaning up...

1arch
03-20-2015, 09:53 AM
I use a commercial defoamer from leader in our evaporator. However when cooking small amounts on the stove for confections I have had success with using different oils such as canola oil, olive oil, butter, bacon grease etc.

Weekend_Warrior
03-20-2015, 12:54 PM
Thanks this is very helpful.

BuckHollowMaple
03-20-2015, 02:32 PM
The leader brand defoamer really works well. Especially with an automatic timer drip.
You can also lower the heat on oil-propane rigs, or open a door a bit on the side it's boiling over, if you're using a wood-fired arch.

This is a very common problem among producers, so you don't have to throw sap in especially for that; unless you like darker syrup like me, which is also produced by longer boiling time.

Happy boiling!

wiam
03-20-2015, 08:48 PM
I use a commercial defoamer from leader in our evaporator. However when cooking small amounts on the stove for confections I have had success with using different oils such as canola oil, olive oil, butter, bacon grease etc.
That is fine for your own use. Have to be very careful of allergens if selling product. Dairy can be a problem.

John c
03-20-2015, 09:17 PM
I've been doing small batches (1 - 2 gallons at a time) for years and I have never used anything as a defoamer. I simply pay very close attention and control the foam with the burner. It does take a bit longer, but syrup can be made at a lower heat. Evaporation is evaporation no matter what. I prefer my syrup to be 100% pure!

The only time I use anything foreign to control the foam is when making candy. All I do is put a thin film of real butter around the inside rim of the pan and I've never had it foam over although it is scary when it climbs the pan, but it always stops at the butter line.

1arch
03-20-2015, 09:35 PM
That is fine for your own use. Have to be very careful of allergens if selling product. Dairy can be a problem.
Thats a great question! I'm starting new thread on this issue since I have immediate family members with this se exact diet sensitivities that have not had ANY reaction to with my defoamer selection. Yes I understand some people have great sensitivity than others so now I have to ask.

Cedar Eater
03-20-2015, 10:27 PM
Try a spray bottle of sap. I read on here somewhere that certified organic producers do that.

slammer3364
03-21-2015, 12:19 AM
I agree with John C The closer you get to syrup you can cut the heat back.Local man had almost syrup and put lath strips in his fire instant heat and high fire, boil over.

JTripp
03-21-2015, 10:05 AM
I'm a small batcher too, I just slow the heat down, and bring it to near syrup, and remove and finish on a more controllable flame like a propane burner and stock pot.

PerryW
03-21-2015, 10:26 AM
I'm a small batcher too, I just slow the heat down, and bring it to near syrup, and remove and finish on a more controllable flame like a propane burner and stock pot.
This is how I used to do it when I did batched. When the syrup starts foaming up, it just means it's getting close and you need to reduce the heat. It will not burn, you can keep on boiling all the way to the soft ball or hard ball stage, so don't worry about burning. You only have to worry about boiling over.