PDA

View Full Version : Sap from hell

rayi
03-20-2015, 07:15 AM
Had my first decent run yesterday. Boiled fresh syrup, fired every five minutes with wrist sized 2 year old maple. The syrup was dark and full of niter. It also would go from 214 to 225 in seconds. Filtering was a PIA I now have five gallons of this syrup. I want to heat it up adjust the density and filter it again. I worked harder in this five gallons than I did all last year. What's up with the sap this year. I think that the dryness has brought up sap straight from hell

Flatlader
03-20-2015, 07:37 AM
RAYI, I'm just south of you. Not having any trouble with my sap but the bugs are terrible this year. I'm collecting using bags. I have as many moths and ants as I have sap. I've been filtering it as I collect it thru a strainer with cheese cloth just to cut down on the prtien content.

Flatlader
03-20-2015, 07:39 AM
That should read "protien content"

saphound
03-20-2015, 08:24 AM
You can edit a post by clicking the "Edit Post" tab under your post..just incase you didn't realize it, Flatlader.

Rayi, I don't think my sap was like that either, but I don't have anything to compare it to. My only complaint is low sugar content for sugar maple sap. I used to buy turkey calls from a guy named Ray Eye, ha. :cool:

Flatlader
03-20-2015, 08:27 AM
Thanks Saphound. I'm old and Polish.Not a great combination to be tech savy.

michiganphil
03-20-2015, 03:09 PM
Rayi and Flatlader,

I'm over by Kalamazoo. Yes, the bugs have been out in full force. I haven't had any trouble with niter, but I have been getting darker syrup than normal.