PDA

View Full Version : Finishing syrup in the shack.

Sandersyrup
03-19-2015, 08:36 PM
As I complete the shack I'm building I need to be able to cook syrup on a finishing burner of some sort. Is there a way to safely operate a propane burner inside a sugar shack without carbon monoxide poisoning?

Any thoughts on finishing? I'm able to make about 1 gallon of syrup when finishing about 2 gallons of sap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COMSTOCK MAPLES
03-19-2015, 08:44 PM
Your sugarhouse shouldn't be so air tight that you have to worry about carbon monoxide.

n8hutch
03-20-2015, 06:20 AM
I agree , should have plenty of air . fire up that propane burner & let her rip.

Michael Greer
03-20-2015, 06:40 AM
I took an ugly gas stove from one of my apartments and installed it in the sugarhouse. A sheet of expanded steel went over the spiders to give it a top that is a little more durable than the original. I can put any size pot up there now without worrying about things tipping. Be sure to adjust your burners to burn in the correct (blue) color, and you shouldn't need to worry about carbon monoxide.

VTmaplehobby
03-20-2015, 06:51 AM
You could always put a cheap exterior vented kitchen hood over it if you were really worried, that would give you more light where you are finishing too.

Sandersyrup
03-20-2015, 07:45 AM
I'm looking at a Costco unit that has 3 burners at 30k BTUs each. Or would I be better off with 1 burner at 100+k?

Sandersyrup
03-20-2015, 08:49 AM
And what about a rocket stove? Can this be used indoors in a well ventilated area? I realize it would be a lot of work feeding it. Do the produce more carbon monoxide ?

BlueberryHill
03-20-2015, 09:06 AM
You really don't need to worry about carbon monoxide. Is your sugar shack tightly insulated? Your venting all that steam so no C0 or anything else is gonna be building up. Not with a decent propane burner and certainly not burning wood. If your really worried get a C0 alarm. But your gonna be all set. Rocket stove or Evap. for that matter your worry should be about structure fires not carbon monoxide.