PDA

View Full Version : Foamy Sap

Urban Sugarmaker
03-19-2015, 06:02 PM
Today I collected 20 gallons of sap and when I got it home I noticed it was much more foamy than I had seen previously. It's slightly concentrated to 3.5% due to tossing ice chunks. Does higher sugar sap foam more?

Hop Kiln Road
03-19-2015, 06:14 PM
Flower City - Yo! Foamy sap good! Foam in evaporator bad. Use defoamer. My P's used to live in Pittsfield by the canal. Moved there from Vermont and loved it.

Urban Sugarmaker
03-19-2015, 06:20 PM
Thanks. Did you mean Pittsford instead of Pittsfield? The Erie canal goes through Pittsford, near where I am.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-19-2015, 06:27 PM
Higher bacteria makes it foam worse.

Hop Kiln Road
03-19-2015, 06:50 PM
Right, Pittsford. Springwood Lane. Never lived there. They sold the house to some college prof who murdered his wife. My youngest brother still tells the story of getting off the school bus when the canal gave way.

mudr
03-19-2015, 07:17 PM
You need to say Pittsford with a slight "hoity toity" accent.

I kid, I kid. :)

Daveg
03-20-2015, 09:18 AM
Today I collected 20 gallons of sap and when I got it home I noticed it was much more foamy than I had seen previously. It's slightly concentrated to 3.5% due to tossing ice chunks. Does higher sugar sap foam more?

Flower City Urban Sugarmaker:Is it possible the sap got shaken and stirred during transport? I THINK you're right about 3.5% sap foaming more than weaker sap.
I tasted some sapsicles yesterday that were sweeter than the sap so I think I'm going to stop tossing ice chunks. And if we get warm runs it helps chill the incoming sap a little.......
If you can make an auto-draw you can make an RO. I did. ~$300. It doubles your concentration for just pennies in electricity.

Urban Sugarmaker
03-20-2015, 09:22 AM
Daveg...yes I thought about it getting foamy during transport. It was not foamy in the buckets I use to collect while I was collecting. It got that way when I transferred it to my bulk storage. I may hose out the transport barrels today an case there's some scum building in there.

I plan to make an RO of some sort for next season. Love the DIY stuff. I'd like to see what you did for $300.