PDA

View Full Version : Different Trees to tap.

Joe Meyer
03-19-2015, 03:07 PM
I've been making syrup for 3 years now. I've never known till I found this forum that trees other than maples could be used. I've seen Birch and Black Walnut. I've got a half dozen Black Walnuts that I'll tap next year. What I was wondering was, is there other potential trees? Fruit trees? I'm surrounded by Apple orchards. Is that a possibility? Of course it would be with permission! Any other trees?

SlopYourDripper
03-19-2015, 03:18 PM
This site lists 22, tho most of them are varieties of maple! No fruit trees listed.
http://wildfoodism.com/2014/02/04/22-trees-that-can-be-tapped-for-sap-and-syrup/

DrTimPerkins
03-19-2015, 05:44 PM
I've been making syrup for 3 years now. I've never known till I found this forum that trees other than maples could be used. I've seen Birch and Black Walnut. I've got a half dozen Black Walnuts that I'll tap next year. What I was wondering was, is there other potential trees? Fruit trees? I'm surrounded by Apple orchards. Is that a possibility? Of course it would be with permission! Any other trees?

Not all trees will exude sap when you tap them in the spring (many do not). However if you use vacuum, you can often induce flow. Then there is the question of whether or not there is much sugar in the sap. Most will have far less than maple trees do.

I can tell you with a good deal of certainty that apple trees (which will only flow with vacuum) make rather disgusting syrup. Any cherry tree will also make a bitter syrup, which you shouldn't consume anyhow due to cyanide compounds in the wood.

Helicopter Seeds
03-20-2015, 10:09 PM
Last year was first year for me, I tapped a decent sized Butternut Tree (Some call it white walnut).
I really did not get much, but what was there needed to squeeze the jelly-like pectin in a filter cloth, then it tasted like syrup.
Maybe 6 oz of syrup.

This year with more maples on tap, I am not bothering with it.

Tidajo
03-21-2015, 07:27 AM
Regarding the Black Walnut:
If there is ever a possibility of selling those trees for lumber, the tap wholes may reduce the value of those trees.
I've read here that when tapped trees are processes for laminate, the tap wholes leave brown marks in the wood.
Just something to consider.

Atgreene
03-21-2015, 07:37 AM
Just curious, you are talking about making a separate syrup with these other trees sap, correct? Not mixing it into maple sap? We tap only sugar maples, even though there's hundreds more soft maples we go right by but do not tap, so I guess I'm spoiled.

Joe Meyer
03-21-2015, 08:04 AM
Regarding the Black Walnut:
If there is ever a possibility of selling those trees for lumber, the tap wholes may reduce the value of those trees.
I've read here that when tapped trees are processes for laminate, the tap wholes leave brown marks in the wood.
Just something to consider.

My black walnuts are wild forest grown with too many knots for laminate sales. The walnut market wants strait grown in plantation quantity.

Joe Meyer
03-21-2015, 08:06 AM
Just curious, you are talking about making a separate syrup with these other trees sap, correct? Not mixing it into maple sap? We tap only sugar maples, even though there's hundreds more soft maples we go right by but do not tap, so I guess I'm spoiled.

I've got a 1/2 dozen or so mature black walnuts. I was just considering it for the fun of it. But to answer your question, yes I would keep the sap separate from the maple.

saphound
03-21-2015, 10:26 AM
My black walnuts are wild forest grown with too many knots for laminate sales. The walnut market wants strait grown in plantation quantity.
For veneer logs that is correct. But any black walnut is valuable. Sometimes they even take the roots for pistol grips and such. My neighbor got 1000.00 for one tree that feel over next to a creek that undermined it. It was over 3 ft in diameter tho. I would think if you keep the tap holes low, the rest of the tree is ok, plus you only go in 2 inches or so.

Edit: I should add that was about 20 yrs ago...probably worth more today but I don't know. I do know it's about 12 bucks a foot for 1 x 8 boards if you go to buy it.