PDA

View Full Version : Small 12v sap pump

Diesel Pro
03-19-2015, 11:40 AM
Contemplating putting in a 3/16 system next season. Problem is my bush is at the opposite end of the line as the collection point. I would like to stick with a moderately sized tank like one of my 65 gallon leg tanks and pump to a larger tank for storage. My plan is to rig a small pump and a battery/solar charger on a float system to pump up to the storage tank at the bush. Length of run I'd guess at 600' max rise probably 20-30' but I need to evaluate elevation with a GPS.

Suggestions for an economical and efficient 12v pump? Does not really need to be exceptionally fast. Just fast enough to keep up with the inflow from maybe 100 taps.

David in MI
03-19-2015, 12:33 PM
Check out this thread. Posts 22 & 26 have a pump that would work great for your application.

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?18202-12v-potable-pump/page3

Diesel Pro
03-19-2015, 01:21 PM
Thanks, but I think that one's going to come up short on ft of head.

n8hutch
03-19-2015, 01:24 PM
I think A 110 volt pump is probably going to be your best option with that kind of head. Get a power inverter to convert 12 volts to 110 & your in business.

CampHamp
03-19-2015, 02:39 PM
This pump (http://shurflo.com/images/files/RV_Product_Data_Sheets/Fresh_Water_Pumps/pds-4008-101-X65.pdf) will move just over 2G/min to a 30' head. The 4048 has a better motor and would last longer, but probably over-kill for what you need.

30' head is 13psi. Here's a table (http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pump-head-pressure-d_663.html) for that conversion and the chart in the first link shows flow rate at varying psi levels.

You will need to keep the diaphragm wet to achieve that, so if you run your tank dry and start sucking air, it may not recover until you empty the outlet hose first. If you removed the built-in check valve, then the line would clear after each cycle which may be best to avoid freezing sap in the hose and pump as well.

Also, if the sap is still coming in just as the temp is dropping to a freeze, you could start pumping and get a frozen line and leave sap in the pump that would freeze, too. So you would want to prevent it from beginning its pump-up cycle with a thermostat or by manual disconnect when temps are approaching freezing.

Diesel Pro
03-19-2015, 04:39 PM
The Shurflo looks like it should work. And good point about the check valve and temperature overrides. My hope would be that I could skip the temperature override, but be sure that it drains back and be sure that there is enough float range to delay the next cycle.

n8hutch
03-19-2015, 05:40 PM
I guess the biggest question is how long will that pump last with that kind of strain. I use a 12v shurflo to transfer sap from my tailgate up into my tank, its only a 5' lift & it works great, not sure I would want to pump 30' with it.

BuckHollowMaple
03-19-2015, 09:06 PM
I wouldn't expect a 12vdc pump to be able to handle that on anything bigger, but a 3/16" line might be able to. I agree with n8hutch though, that a 110vac would do it with ease, but an inverter wastes energy, while a 110vac pump uses it up quickly.

I'd say find a pump you want and do the math to make sure it can handle it.