PDA

View Full Version : Double Whammy! New tubing, first run crap

DoubleBrookMaple
03-19-2015, 09:53 AM
This year I upgraded from my first attempt at tubing last year with 1/2 mainline. I installed 1100' 3/4 in mainline earlier in season, and added my 3500' of laterals in deep snow on snowshoes. I got all tapped with 260 taps for the first run with my new home built vacuum system that worked flawlessly at 25 in. Reading on the site, many dump first run on new tubing, but I wanted to try boiling anyway, on my expanded 2x4, now 2x6. AT least I could do a test run. I hated to dump 325 gallons of sap as well. That is more than I gathered my whole first year in 2013
I boiled for 11 hours finishing after midnight (it took 5-6 hours to get my first draw off!), and filtered, and bottled a measly 2 1/2 gallons of dark! Flavor did not seem right, but I was overly determined to complete my task.
Lessons learned.
1. New tubing, 1 % sap, first run, and over exuberance all contributed to my demise. The syrup later tasted was inferior in flavor, and I have used it in my cereal some, but would not consider giving it away. In top of this all I used a tremendous amount of wood to get little syrup. I will never do this again, as in hindsight I wish I had saved my own energy, and the energy I could have saved in that wood.

I had another small run of 140 gallons of 2% that I boiled off (this time it was 2 1/2 hrs to first draw off) and got more syrup and all is good!

markct
03-19-2015, 11:51 AM
I have never dumped an ounce of sap off new tubing. What brand and type you using? Maybe was there sections you used over from the old system that had crap in them?

motowbrowne
03-19-2015, 12:06 PM
Personally, I would let the first couple dozen gallons from each line pour out. It definitely has a pretty strong scent to it. That's just my opinion, though.

DoubleBrookMaple
03-19-2015, 01:30 PM
I do know that new tubing is/should not be the cause. 1% sap should not be the cause. Leaves it to just my first run had something going on. Tim Perkins noted in some thread that sometimes it happens in an early run if I remember correctly.

Sugarmaker
03-19-2015, 01:59 PM
Could be metabolic flavor? Can occur about ant time in the season.
Don't throw it out. its worth $30 a gallon as bulk.
Glad the second batch was better.
Regards,
Chris

Russell Lampron
03-19-2015, 06:39 PM
I have never thrown away the first sap from new tubing either. In fact this was the first year that I didn't wash my tubing and I only dumped about 25 gallons from 700 taps and kept the rest. The first syrup was some of the best tasting first run syrup I have made.