PDA

View Full Version : Help! Can I stop collecting while sap is still running?

pickle715
03-18-2015, 08:29 PM
This is my first year tapping and I'm overwhelmed by how much sap I'm collecting. I can't find any information online regarding what to do if you want to stop collecting sap while its still flowing. I didn't think it'd be a good idea to just let the sap run down the tree. Can I temporarily plug my taps so that the sap stays in the tree and then remove the plugs after the flow so the tree can heal?

CampHamp
03-18-2015, 08:36 PM
If you're done for the season, just pull taps and do not plug holes (the tree will heal better by just removing the taps).

pickle715
03-18-2015, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the reply. If I take my taps out while the sap is still running, won't the sap run down the outside of the tree? Could this attract bugs that would damage the tree?

Run Forest Run!
03-18-2015, 08:46 PM
The sap will run down the tree for a little while, but it's not a problem. Don't worry about bugs. In fact, if you are lucky you can watch butterflies collecting the sap as a nectar substitute.

Sandersyrup
03-18-2015, 08:54 PM
Bugs, squirrels and other natural conditions create sap wounds on trees and sap flows down the tree more often than you think. The sap attracts ants, moths and other insects. Birds called sapsuckers live off of tree wounds.

Ice and snow damage can cause sap leaks.

It's perfectly normal for sap to drip down the trunk. The animals, bugs and bacteria will quickly assist in its healing process as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Greer
03-20-2015, 07:09 AM
So next year, set aside a little more time eh?

WESTMAPLES
03-20-2015, 07:28 AM
or get a bigger evaporator setup to stay ahead

billyinvt
03-23-2015, 08:55 AM
Too much sap, is what I'd call a luxury problem!