PDA

View Full Version : taking the year off

lafite
03-18-2015, 08:16 PM
It was a difficult decision but we decided to take the year off. I had most of February to tend to the start of the season but as we all know in CT, not a drip to be had.

My work schedule is crazy this March with travelling and commitments.

3.5 gallons left over from 2014 will have to be rationed...

wishing everyone well.

steve

sugarridge48
03-19-2015, 07:09 AM
Your not the only one . In north canton I see a drastic reduction in taps I usauly see road side.I think this winter just burned everyone out. I will tap today but honestly I'm burnt too from snow plowing, burning through most of my firewood etc.

DaveB
03-19-2015, 07:59 AM
Your not the only one . In north canton I see a drastic reduction in taps I usauly see road side.I think this winter just burned everyone out. I will tap today but honestly I'm burnt too from snow plowing, burning through most of my firewood etc.

I think some of it has to do the snow on the ground and snow banks. It was definitely a struggle to get started and it seemed like an impossible task but I'm happy I've done what I've done. Now, I still don't have much sap to show for all my work, but the weather pattern looks favorable 1-2 weeks into April if things hold so I'm good.

Good luck lafite....I know what it's like when you want to but can't do it. That happened to me a a couple of years in the 90s.

markct
03-19-2015, 08:18 AM
Definatly a tough year indeed but seems to be worth it so far made around 75 gal syrup. Its realy no worst than what the sugarmakers up north deal with regularly so we all will get thru it. I wouldnt know what to do with myself if i took a year off!

sugarridge48
03-19-2015, 10:40 AM
I just tapped and had a few drips couldn't believe it . I didn't want to have regretted not tapping. Now I need more dry wood.

40to1
03-19-2015, 02:48 PM
I feel your pain....

sugarridge48
03-20-2015, 07:23 AM
Hmmmm heat the house or make syrup?

lafite
04-07-2015, 03:23 PM
the only good thing about taking a season off is.....no cleanup!!! lol

but boy am I organized for next year...;)