PDA

View Full Version : Finally finished tapping

maple flats
03-18-2015, 07:33 PM
Today I finished tapping after all sorts of delays, not bad, 2014 finished 1/20, 2015 finished 3/18. The snow and resultant damage sure slowed the process. Last year I had just under 1200 taps, this year just over 1300 taps. Now I could use a good season for sure.
I did get a Hot End system and it worked so well I got a second to make the process go faster. They sure are nice and I'm looking forward to fewer micro leaks. I sure hope that part makes these a super investment, I'll let you know as the season progresses. Today, I only had 1 tree that was wet, the rest were frozen, out of about 125 taps finished up. Yesterday the sap ran in the morning but the trees were froze solid before 5 pm when I went up to refuel the pumps.

Ghs57
03-21-2015, 10:07 AM
Dave,

I agree about the weather. I picked a good year to move my production up a level. It's tough to spend money than be at the whims of the weather. When you are small scale, the expenses are huge, and the returns are relatively small. I wanted to tap more, but still can't get the truck further into the woods. Healing buckets through this snow is no fun.

What do you expect your production to be this year?

Gary in Woodstock