PDA

View Full Version : Low temp evaporation

SlopYourDripper
03-18-2015, 05:19 PM
Since it's too cold and windy to be outside manning my boiling apparatus (propane "turkey fryer" style) and I had a couple of gallons of leftover partially boiled sap from yesterday's meager production, I decided to put my pot on top of my wood stove to see if I could use some of the "free" heat to continue the cooking process. My stove is a small unit whose top never gets hot enough to boil (a safety feature?). The pot of water I keep on it (just to add a bit of humidity to the house) slowly evaporates and occasionally almost gets to a simmer if I crank the stove hard. Anyway, is there any concern with using such a slow non-boiling evaporation method for sap? The temp is around 180° or so. I'll finish the syrup on my kitchen range top, as always.

Cedar Eater
03-18-2015, 05:49 PM
The one thing that jumps out at me is that you'll get evaporation without carmelization. That's not a bad thing, because RO does the same thing. As long as you get good caramelization during the finish boil, I think you'll be fine.

Michael Greer
03-18-2015, 05:56 PM
Don't forget to keep an eye on it or you'll end up with a pot of glue that will crystallize as it cools.

SlopYourDripper
03-19-2015, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys! After losing about 1/2 the volume (1-1/2 gal or so) to the slow evaporation process, I finished it up on my gas grill side burner and it looks and tastes just like my small batch from last week.