PDA

View Full Version : 1 1/4 mainline problems

calvertbrothers
03-18-2015, 10:20 AM
I have about 2000 feet of 1 1/4" mainline up I have taps on it but it isn't flowing good.I thought I have the line as tight as I could get it but it still has a lot is sags in it. So I bought 30 t-posts to support it. does anyone else have good ideas so my sap makes it to my releaser?

Mark-NH
03-18-2015, 10:42 AM
Are you side tieing it for tension? Much better results than just supporting it and trying to crank it tight.

markct
03-18-2015, 10:59 AM
On wire or just pulled tight? And i doubt its restricting much sap either way other than in early am when sags are frozen

calvertbrothers
03-18-2015, 08:25 PM
I crank my ratchets tight and use my side pulls to get tension. I can't crank my ratchets and tighter. I supported some of the line today with t-posts. I took a 4 foot level and checked the sags and found out that I have enough pitch even with the sag it still has pitch of that makes any sense.

mapletrooper1
03-19-2015, 07:11 AM
do you have a main line wire pulled with ratchet tensioners on the ends? then secure your 1-1/4" line to it every 6-8" with wire ties...I use the pvc coated ones they are easier to see and a little stronger than plain wire ones. I also pull the tubing tight with a ratchet strap every couple hundred feet ahead of me as I am securing the wire ties. Then you need to pull your lateral lines for the side tension they put on the main line is tremendous...last but not least I then go through and support it if needed across long distances of more than 30 feet without a tree to support it or a lateral line.

mapletrooper1
03-19-2015, 07:13 AM
just noticed that you are in Warsaw NY...im right around the corner and in warsaw regular, would be glad to stop by and take a peek

BreezyHill
03-19-2015, 09:16 AM

Here is the simplest way I know to tension mainlines and to maintain tension.

This line is 600' long and was cut 20' short for tensioning. The line ends at a ladder 12' in the air and connects to an additional main on booth ends. I dropped the original lock clip in the snow and had to use screws til we melt off this snow.

I also use CDL Rapid tie to side tension and to secure laterals to the main on Rigid tubing.

Supplies needed to do this style of tensioning:
2 heavy duty Screw hooks or J hooks/Drive Rings
2 tension grips
1 rapid tightener
1 rapid tightener Handle
length of high tensile wire long enough to rap around end hooks and secure to the grips.

To tension the pictured line took more time to walk the 600' than to tighten it. May be 3 minutes max.

This line is at 1% slope to get sap out of a valley and to reduce the ladders need by one. The far end of this line has three ladders total when completed.

If you need more pics let me know.

Ben