PDA

View Full Version : Clear Leader filter press

sapman
03-17-2015, 09:32 PM
Anybody try one of these? Pros/cons?

1arch
03-17-2015, 10:07 PM
I heard the newer units have ss pumps that do not contain heavy metals.

markct
03-18-2015, 05:16 AM
Heres my thoughts. I love the concept but the odd size papers concern me a little bit i know they are same price now but down the road if these arnt popular they could be hard to get and cost more. Second thing is that a sugarmaker not far from me had one plate break and blow out the side. Luckly he had just stepped out of the room and heard the pop and looked back to find syrup all over. Maybe just a bad plate etc but imagine the severe burns had him or a customer been watching the syrup flow thru the nice clear plates. Maybe just a one in a million thing, maybe leader updated plate design now i dont know but still would concern me a bit.

sapman
03-18-2015, 08:58 AM
I appreciate the input. That busted plate sounds suspect to me. Never know with new concepts like this.

Thanks

markct
03-18-2015, 09:51 AM
Yea that worried me too. Now that was maybe 2 years ago so maybe improvements have been made or just a casting flaw etc but i gota admit a blown paper is dangerous and messy enough i hate to see a plate itself blow out.

DrTimPerkins
03-18-2015, 12:33 PM
Now that was maybe 2 years ago so maybe improvements have been made ....

I don't recall the exact specifics, but I think after a few of the early models had problems, Leader redesigned the clear press frames and added reinforcement to prevent such occurrences. I'm pretty sure they replaced all the early presses free of charge once this change was adopted.

markct
03-18-2015, 12:36 PM
Good to know thank you Dr Tim

BuckHollowMaple
03-19-2015, 09:13 PM
I personally will never stray from cast iron due to the dependability, but it retains heat for such a long time.
I've heard those plastic plates dissipate heat extremely well; sure beats being quick-fingered though!

I'm glad leaders got that sorted out. Sounds like a nightmare, markct.

Green lid
03-20-2015, 05:03 AM
first year with 15 frame clear pres with air pump .wow! this thing rocks !!

johnallin
03-20-2015, 12:17 PM
Same over here, got a Leader Clear Press from Richards in Chardon this year and used it for the first time last night (if 11:59 PM still qualifies as night)

Never having run a plate press; I wasn't too sure what to expect and checked and re-checked everything twice. The pneumatic pump is a thing of beauty...easy to control speed and was able to empty the press of all but a few drops of syrup.

Clean up was a piece of cake (pun intended) as that's all that was left in there...

I spoke to a Leader rep in Albion last year. He said that they had re-called all of the early plates to be exchanged with the new design and new orders were on hold until that campaign had been completed. THAT is customer service!

VTnewguy
05-01-2018, 03:35 AM
Now that this press has been out there for a few years, what is everone's take on it? Is it worth the extra money over a aluminum press? Does leader make a specific cart for it?

johnallin
05-01-2018, 06:25 AM
Fourth year with mine and no issues at all. Never had a metal plate press, so I can't compare, but it's nice to see what's going on Inside the press. You know exactly how much cake you're building when you start up and how much syrup remains to be pumped out when you're done. The pneumatic diaphragm pump is also a thing of beauty.

Haynes Forest Products
05-01-2018, 07:52 AM
I have never seen one in operation and have wondered about how it looks during filling. When I do an autopsy on my filter chambers cake build up we know it starts at the filter paper surface and builds up until the two surfaces become one. When filtering smaller amounts without much DE I end up with what is best describes as a Ravioli with no ingredients inside. How long during the filtering process before the inside cakes over stopping the ability to see syrup swirling around.

I was wondering where a guy could get some food grade Portland cement to mix in with my DE. I was hoping to start building the foundation to a new addition to the shack and wanted to recycle my filter cakes into little bricks. You know to save the environment.

JUST KIDDING FOLKS I WOULDN'T DO IT

VTnewguy
05-01-2018, 08:13 AM
Fourth year with mine and no issues at all. Never had a metal plate press, so I can't compare, but it's nice to see what's going on Inside the press. You know exactly how much cake you're building when you start up and how much syrup remains to be pumped out when you're done. The pneumatic diaphragm pump is also a thing of beauty.

What did you end up mounting it on? Thank you for your insight.

johnallin
05-01-2018, 11:09 AM
What did you end up mounting it on? Thank you for your insight.

I bought a commercial metal cart so I could roll it around from the bottler and pump area to the door for cleaning. Pretty simple and with a bottom tray the to hold papers and other "stuff". As I recall the cart is rated at 1200 lbs and ran about $200. The same or very close to this link:
https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/material-handling/trucks-carts/portable-steel-tables/low-deck-shelf-truck-flush-top-sloped-handle-18-x-32

Snowmad
05-04-2018, 08:36 PM
No more cracking plastic? I heard from a non Leader dealer they knew a guy that cracked 6 plates this year. Wondering how long the pipe is he's using to tighten it down??

VTnewguy
05-06-2018, 07:28 AM
A brand new Leader 5 bank is at the house waiting for next spring! Can't wait! No more washing orlon and prefilters!

maple flats
05-06-2018, 10:10 AM
I suggest you use it a time or two as you pack more retail containers to get familiar with it. Once you get used to using it, you will never want to go back to your old method of filtering.

ToadHill
05-06-2018, 10:45 AM
We’ve had the clear press with the diaphragm pump for a few years now. Previously we had cast iron and aluminum. We will never go back. Can’t honestly think of a good reason the other presses or pumps are better. Have not had an issue with the odd size filters. The plates are lighter and easier to work with when hot. The diaphragm pump is simple and provides more control and you can’t beat being able to see what’s going on inside the plates.

VTnewguy
05-06-2018, 02:00 PM
I suggest you use it a time or two as you pack more retail containers to get familiar with it. Once you get used to using it, you will never want to go back to your old method of filtering.
Thank you, we have never packed in glass because of the filter process we used. Can't wait to try some different bottles.

Chicopee Sap Shack
08-11-2018, 04:54 PM
i love mine except for the lack of a cart. Being able to see the DE build up is a pig plus when it comes to figuring out how much to use. easy to clean. I wish they had gone with the off set rods like smokey lake did. Odd size papers bit me a little this year and had me in a pucker, then bascoms sent me 7" papers, so i puckered more until the 7.5's came in. Now i will just pay closer attention to how many are in the box and order more sooner.

VTnewguy
08-14-2018, 03:41 AM
i love mine except for the lack of a cart. Being able to see the DE build up is a pig plus when it comes to figuring out how much to use. easy to clean. I wish they had gone with the off set rods like smokey lake did. Odd size papers bit me a little this year and had me in a pucker, then bascoms sent me 7" papers, so i puckered more until the 7.5's came in. Now i will just pay closer attention to how many are in the box and order more sooner.

I actually picked up a box of papers yesterday. I think 400 should get me through this next year, and beyond. lol