PDA

View Full Version : leasing land

thegrizz
03-17-2015, 08:32 PM
Trying to get a rough idea of the cost of leasing 40 acres to tap

Maplewalnut
03-18-2015, 08:46 AM
thegrizz-

Alot of variables to consider. Tubing vs buckets (can you leave tubing up or does it have to be taken down each year) ease of access for collecting, % slope of land, electricity available, distance from your sugarhouse. With that said most people pay per tap...I have seen $0.30 to $1.00 or more. Also recommended is to get a lease agreement in writing..Good luck

Leadft
01-31-2016, 01:46 AM
thegrizz-

Alot of variables to consider. Tubing vs buckets (can you leave tubing up or does it have to be taken down each year) ease of access for collecting, % slope of land, electricity available, distance from your sugarhouse. With that said most people pay per tap...I have seen $0.30 to $1.00 or more. Also recommended is to get a lease agreement in writing..Good luck

I'm looking for some help on the lease agreement end of things for a new property I'm considering. I have been burnt in the past on this and need some A coverage from here on out for a permanent tubing location.
Thanks in advance.

wiam
01-31-2016, 04:33 AM
https://www.uvm.edu/~uvmaple/sugarbushlease.pdf

maple flats
01-31-2016, 05:48 AM
I use that Vermont lease as a starting point and then tailor it to fit my needs. Then print it out in multiple copies (legal documents need at lease 25 copies it seems), I did 4-5. Both sign each, then the landowner gets at least 2, one for them and one for their town or county clerk, you keep the rest. Their town or county clerk needs a copy so the landowner can file for an Agricultural exemption (an Ag assessment will save them big on their taxes, at least in NYS it does). In NYS we need a 2 yr. avg. (from your tax return) in ag sales of $10,000 for them to qualify. That does not all need to come from their land, but if that 40 acres has a decent population of tapable maples, you won't have a problem once you get going. The ag. sales can be a total of what you sell in any ag. commodity, hay, veggies, fruit, maple etc.
The lease must be for a minimum of 5 yrs and 10 is far better, especially if you will be putting up a tubing system. At 40 acres if not using a tubing system, be sure to have a huge work force to help with the work.