PDA

View Full Version : Galvinized water pipe

Brad W Wi
02-05-2007, 03:55 PM
I'm going to be setting up my bulk tanks this weekend for feeding to my evaporator. Because of elevations I have to pump out of my trailer to my lower bulk tank. My question is can I use gavinized water pipe? If not I'll have to go to plastic. Part of it is outside and I'd like it metal incase of freezing weather and my transfer pump is inside. My feed line to the evaporator is 1 1/4" stainless pipe from the upper or feed tank for gravity flow but I'm out of the ss pipe and the pump only will take 1". I plan on having plastic for the discharge end of the pump as it will be inside and will drain back into the lower tank.

maplehound
02-05-2007, 04:02 PM
If it is the new nonleaded type you could use it. I would recomend though you use the same type of pipe we use in the woods. Maple pipe lines arn't affected as much by the freezing. I do think though you will want to keep the pipes drained in freezing weather anyhow.

maple flats
02-05-2007, 05:48 PM
I use copper and where it calls for pipe threads I use a male or female adapter. Be sure to use lead free solder and design it to be drained but sometimes it could freeze in use while boiling on the part outside, be ready with an emergency supply of sap and a torch to thaw or use heat tapes on that part when needed.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-05-2007, 05:58 PM
Why not go with PVC Food and Beverage Suction and delivery hose. It works great and it would be cheaper than galvanized and if it did freeze, it wouldn't bust and wouldn't freeze as fast as metal or copper. US Plastics carries it fairly cheaply @ $ 1.15 per foot and it has a great bend ratio.

www.usplastic.com