PDA

View Full Version : Air/Modified Barrel Evap Question

cpaq88
03-17-2015, 01:57 PM
I've got a modified barrel evap but I can't seem to hold a good boil. I've got a shelf and wall welded inside to direct heat up under pan. The inside is also lined with blanket and firebrick. I added the 2 inch pipe and hair dryer in the picture this year. I have a rack that sits right above the 2 inch bung so the airflow is under the rack. I am burning mixed hardwood split to about wrist sized diameter. Any advice is welcomed! It does seem to burn a little better if the door is cracked an inch or two. Not sure if this is indicative of an airflow location problem or what... I generally get a little boil when its burning but never a rolling boil. I have a 10inch deep pan but only fill it about 1 inch.

Chris

maplestudent
03-17-2015, 02:09 PM
extend the pipe all the way to the back wall and cap it. then drill sets of holes in the pipe (say at 10 o'clock, 12, and 2). this will spread the air. I found that if I put too much wood in it chokes the fire (though I'm still experimenting).

optionguru
03-17-2015, 02:10 PM
I don't think your hair dryer is getting enough air to the fire.

cpaq88
03-18-2015, 11:25 AM
extend the pipe all the way to the back wall and cap it. then drill sets of holes in the pipe (say at 10 o'clock, 12, and 2). this will spread the air. I found that if I put too much wood in it chokes the fire (though I'm still experimenting).

Does 2 in pipe fit in there or will I need to go with a smaller dia?

cpaq88
03-18-2015, 11:26 AM
I don't think your hair dryer is getting enough air to the fire.

What type of air source do you use?

optionguru
03-18-2015, 12:26 PM
I don't use forced air. When I built my arch I left a 14x14 opening in the floor of the firebox to let air come up through the fire. When looking for designs to copy, I saw some of the older arches had no floor at all. When the draw from the chimney pipe gets going you can look in the firebox and see the fire is very active.

maplestudent
03-18-2015, 12:57 PM
Does 2 in pipe fit in there or will I need to go with a smaller dia?

I don't know. maybe stick the crimped end of a separate section of pipe into the inside side of the hole?

Locust Farms
03-19-2015, 02:28 PM
I set a 4" channel on brick for clearance, both ends open ,air enters from bottom. The ash you see is from 4 days heavy burning.fire burns hot and complete/with blower going and ash door open.11205

red/one
03-20-2015, 08:18 AM
Hey guys, newbie here. I have a 55 gallon barrel evap. with a small fan attached to the 2" fill hole and I can get a boil on the front pan and back. The small blower type fans work excellent.