PDA

View Full Version : Time pull taps (oh wait, I never put them in!)

40to1
03-17-2015, 01:28 PM
2015 will be the year I did not do any sugaring.

In the strange microclimate around Boston, I usually tap around Valentine's Day and pull taps around St. Patrick's Day (when nighttime temps stay above freezing). Unfortunately, this year because of the frigid temps, I lost the first four weeks of a five week season. Such a short season made it more not-worth-it this year.

It's very disappointing, but I'll console myself with what remains of last year's supply and knowing that my wood supply is going to be super well-seasoned for next year.

I wish everyone a better season than I had....

billyinvt
03-17-2015, 02:57 PM
I'm thinking you're giving up before you should. The weather down your way is going to be plenty cold enough to stimulate at least one or two more good runs in the next couple weeks. That is, if you want to make syrup.

Maplesedge
03-17-2015, 03:14 PM
if you tap, the sap will come. You know you want to. You'll get two weeks worth at least. You've only missed a week so far.

sams64
03-17-2015, 08:30 PM
It's barely starting to run and it won't end based on anything in your calendar. Tap'em.

Sam

1arch
03-17-2015, 10:20 PM
I end up in a dilemma every year with my Pa as to when should we tap. Pa don't like to taps until the trees are squirting you in the eye as the drill bit is pulled out. I on the other hand prefer to tap as the weather becomes prime because as a part time syrup maker with a full time job it takes me a week to fix/enhance my tubing and install taps which hopefully aligns the tapping completion with the saps runs. I must say though that the majority of our sap doesn't come with the initial flows... Once again Pa is right with the largest impact of the season however I won't let go of that chance of early production.
So with all that said don't give up without trying:)

Jebediah
03-18-2015, 06:22 AM
Just now starting to run in Natick.

Maplesedge
03-18-2015, 07:54 AM
Yeah, the trees are still warming up. If you tap now, you'll catch it when flood stage comes. You ain't missed nuthin yet.

Even after it gets above freezing at night you can still get good flows. You've probably got a good four week season ahead of you.

handtapper
03-18-2015, 09:12 AM
Ive been trying to stay positive but I cant say a bold face lie. I have collected 380 gallons on 240 taps. Today is the 18th and it looks poor for the next 5 days, that is 23rd. Anyone thinking we are going to have a stellar stretch ahead of us that will make the season is kidding themselves. We might get a good week or possibly two in my opinion but thats it. Ive never heard of sugaring close to may

Revi
03-18-2015, 10:02 AM
We have found that it usually ends around the middle of April here in Central Maine. Whatever the year is doing, it's almost like clockwork. If it ends down your way around the 15th of March, it might make it a week or two longer, but probably it will end then. The temps are going to be perfect up here next week, so maybe you will get a good week or two in anyway.

Maplesedge
03-18-2015, 10:34 AM
Two things are certain:

1. Whatever the variation, or microclimate, the trees will give sap each and every year. Global warming hasn't altered that around here just yet.

2. You won't get any sap if you don't tap.

It's your call of course, you can skip a year for any reason you want. Just seems a shame to pony up for a Mason 2x3 and let it sit idle.

Maplesedge
03-18-2015, 06:24 PM
We have found that it usually ends around the middle of April here in Central Maine. Whatever the year is doing, it's almost like clockwork. If it ends down your way around the 15th of March, it might make it a week or two longer, but probably it will end then. The temps are going to be perfect up here next week, so maybe you will get a good week or two in anyway.

My last boil in 2014 was 4/6 and probably could have gone another week if I felt like it. This year might go that long easy.