PDA

View Full Version : Using Auto Draw Off

Urban Sugarmaker
03-17-2015, 09:18 AM
Had my first draw off last night. Got well over a gallon so I think it's safe to say my pan is sweet. My home built draw off is working perfectly. But I have some questions.

1) Should I expect larger and fewer draw offs on a 2x4 flat pan?

2) How do folks adjust the temperature setting on the auto draw to the correct temp to draw off? Supposedly syrup at 66.9 brix is done at 7.3 degrees above whatever the boiling point is on that day. For me it was 210.1 so I set it to 217.4. When I tested at that temp it wasn't done yet so I wound up setting to 219.5. When tested again, I was only slightly overdone and less than a cup of distilled water brought it back to the correct density.

Thanks

ldick
03-17-2015, 09:47 AM
Sorry, I can't help with your first question. We always verify/test our autodraw with a hydrometer. Not uncommon to have to adjust temp by a tenth or two (occasionally more). Sometimes need to adjust several times a day as barometric pressure changes. Still much easier than not having autodraw and I can focus on other things (like bottling, RO maint, etc.) without worry of "forgetting" and overcooking syrup. Wouldn't be without one now that I have used it.