PDA

View Full Version : Cinder Block Arch - Stove Pipe Connection Picures

beetman
03-17-2015, 08:27 AM
I am in the process of building my first cinder block arch and I am looking for ideas on how to mate my stove pipe to back of the arch. Most pictures I've seen don't really reveal too much about this aspect of the arch, so I was hoping you guys could post some pictures of your setups and I could use them for inspiration.

Thanks,

cameron

Big_Eddy
03-17-2015, 09:51 AM
After several iterations I settled on a piece of flat plate with a hole hacked in it and a ring of flat bar welded to it. Worked best for me. I did a how to on a block arch a few years back. Pretty sure a picture was included.

beetman
03-17-2015, 09:57 AM
After several iterations I settled on a piece of flat plate with a hole hacked in it and a ring of flat bar welded to it. Worked best for me. I did a how to on a block arch a few years back. Pretty sure a picture was included.

You're thread was the basis for my design actually. However I do not have access to a welder, so I've been toying with a no weld version of yours, something like this:
http://mapletrader.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=8542&d=1390833704

I just was looking for any other clever ideas for inspiration.

sams64
03-17-2015, 10:11 AM
I used a register like this, but with a 90 on the back, when I had a block arch. Pulled the blocks in around it for support and it worked very well.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/a9/a9ca764a-b27c-4ca2-9df8-705e23330f4a_300.jpg

sam

Cedar Eater
03-17-2015, 10:48 AM
I don't have pics and I haven't made a block arch, but I've seen how someone did it for an outdoor brick oven. They made a channel in the block and mounted a steel plate with a round hole cut in it on top of the channel. They connected the bottom section of pipe to the plate by "tabbing" the crinkled end of a 2' section of black stovepipe. I recommend black stovepipe for at least the bottom section because it will last longer. I used tabbing to connect my stovepipe to my franken-dryer arch. If the stack is resting vertically on a metal plate, it's less important to use sheet metal screws. You bend half of the tabs outward, insert the other half through the plate and then bend them outward. If you ever need to replace that section, you can reach through the pipe to bend the tabs that go through the plate.

http://i.imgur.com/0P9jmbX.jpg?1

Lethalbowman
03-17-2015, 10:49 AM
I made up this angle iron connector to attach the register piece to my block arch. I attached it to the blocks with tap-con screws and then used a couple self tapping screws to secure the register to the angle iron. It will most likely only last for the season but works well for my needs.

Hurlmon
03-17-2015, 11:39 AM
I used one of these:

I used small concrete anchors to attach it to a block that site on its side in the back wall of the arch.
I'll grab a picture if I can get home before dark.

Cedar Eater
03-17-2015, 01:55 PM
Register connectors and other duct components made for forced air heating duct are not as thick as stovepipe. Sometimes they are as thin as 30 guage, vs. 24 or thicker for stove pipe. Expect them to corrode through sooner and plan accordingly for replacement and you will be fine.

emo
03-17-2015, 03:18 PM
I made a form the size of the back of the arch, set a piece of black stove pipe in it and poured cement around it. I set a couple of pieces of rebar above a below the stove pipe to help strengthen it.

TimBausack
03-17-2015, 03:47 PM
Cameron,

This is what I came up with this past weekend. This is my first time using a cinder block arch. I think on my next boil (tonight) I will make a fire door and a lip for the steam table pans to rest on out of rectangular duct work sheet metal. My back was quite sore Monday from looking into the oven on my hands and knees all day.

My smoke stack is an 8"x60" duct on top of a 6x12 stack box. I used rubber bungee cords pulling against each other to hold the stack down. Friction on the rough edges of the block kept the hooks in place. I was worried about the cords melting but the edges of the stack box overhang the cinder block by a tiny amount--so I think the cool air drafting in from the sides kept that area cool enough not to melt the cords. My idea was to sandwich some fiberglass insulation I had laying around between the stack and the bungee but the cords were so tight I decided to try it as it was which worked out fine.

Tim

sticknstring
02-18-2018, 11:58 AM
Is it a MUST to have a pipe with a block arch? I want to cook today, but i dont have a pipe set up to be used with my block arch. Maybe its better to have it, but is it a make or break situation? What do i need to worry about if i dont have one?

lords sugaring
02-18-2018, 12:16 PM
Is it a MUST to have a pipe with a block arch? I want to cook today, but i dont have a pipe set up to be used with my block arch. Maybe its better to have it, but is it a make or break situation? What do i need to worry about if i dont have one?
I have used the block arch without one before. Granted it was there when starting but the wind knocked it off during the boil. You'll be just fine without, prepare to get smoked out when loading wood/ just standing by it. The main thing is you'll get some wood ash in there so filter it twice for good measure. My first batch ever was almost black syrup buy had a real nice smoky flavor

michael marrs
02-19-2018, 10:34 AM
I have never had a pipe on my block arch, and am curious if that is why my syrup is usually dark.and smokey? Now , I should add, everyone who has had the syrup comments on the smokey flavor. I really kept it simple after watching several youtube vids, including one , where a guy had a huge cauldron , (looked like a witch used it before), and a fire under it, and nothing more . I create a rectangular firebox, 4 ft 6x by the width of the pans , about 19 in. fill with wood start a fire , set in the pans, how would a smoke stack help me? So I guess it would suffice to say, I don't know what the function of it is for , thanks, also no back wall for " arch' or anything like that. ad I said, kind of just a rectangular brick box to hold the wood in, and the pans on.

wobbletop
02-19-2018, 07:47 PM
You should get a better draw/draft with a stack. That should help get the fire hotter and boil faster.

lords sugaring
02-19-2018, 08:20 PM
A door and back wall will help keep the heat inside the arch to the bottom of your pan. The stack will help with the draft/air coming into the arch plus it will keep the majority of the smoke out of your face when boiling. It's really all about making your arch more efficient by how hot it gets inside to how well and fast your wood burns. Efficiency is possibly one of the most important things in my eyes. I'd rather spend less time at the evaporator and use less wood than more of both.

MaplePittsburgh
02-19-2018, 08:43 PM
I have never had a pipe on my block arch, and am curious if that is why my syrup is usually dark.and smokey? Now , I should add, everyone who has had the syrup comments on the smokey flavor. I really kept it simple after watching several youtube vids, including one , where a guy had a huge cauldron , (looked like a witch used it before), and a fire under it, and nothing more . I create a rectangular firebox, 4 ft 6x by the width of the pans , about 19 in. fill with wood start a fire , set in the pans, how would a smoke stack help me? So I guess it would suffice to say, I don't know what the function of it is for , thanks, also no back wall for " arch' or anything like that. ad I said, kind of just a rectangular brick box to hold the wood in, and the pans on.

I had a similar setup last year and this year I made a much more air tight rig out of a heating oil tank. It is still pretty smokey though. I think with the pans recessed down into the fire, you get a lot more charring along the pan sides. My stuff still comes out with a lot of soot type stuff that needs to settle out. I put it in the fridge for about a week and let it settle to the bottom before doing my finish boil. Everyone loves the smokey taste though.

Swingpure
08-01-2021, 08:40 PM
This is an old post, but I really like the idea of making your own block with a built in stove pipe.22413

Swingpure
08-08-2021, 05:10 PM
I did follow “emo’s” tip and made a special block for the stove pipe. I really like it! I also added steel reinforce the, some pieces of metal grate I had trimmed off and some metal plate I had trimmed off as well.