PDA

View Full Version : Need side/slab wood dry near worthington/ cummington

Ejsmass2
03-16-2015, 09:17 PM
I blew it. The wood I thought was a sure thing has worked well weathering outdoor for he last 3 years failed me. This year this the snow pack the way it has been my wood is a block of ice. Lesson learned and the wood for next year is already drying under tarps.

That does not solve my immediate issue. I need dry wood to run the arch. I cannot get a boil out of what I have. It just hisses at me. Does anybody have a source that I might avail myself of? This will not happen to me again but I do need a solution for this year.

Also does anybody have any ideas that might allow me to use my seasoned wood that is now blocks of ice.

Regards and feeling foolish,
Ted

SeanD
03-16-2015, 11:26 PM
Pallets burn very well, they are usually dry and they are free. I grabbed a bunch from RH Long one time. Where in the Ham are you sugaring?

Jebediah
03-17-2015, 06:29 AM
I lean up wet wood next to the fire, dries somewhat as fire burns. Sort of an "on-deck circle." Not a great solution, but helps to a degree. I second Sean's question--where in Fram are you? I am in Natick.

Ejsmass2
03-17-2015, 06:39 AM
I live in Framingham but sugar at my uncles farm in western ma. We are on the worthington cummington line.

handtapper
03-17-2015, 08:29 AM
I would go with dry pallets. I could give you an unlimited supply but I have them in Nashua New Hampshire. Look on Craigslist you should be able to find some local

GV2
03-17-2015, 08:43 AM
I am not sure how much wood you need to feed in per hour, but I keep a hatchet and stump next to the arch and give the majority of the wood I feed in at least one split to get a dry surface. I then feed these pieces in to the side of the arch. On the next feed they get moved into the flame and then get replaced with newly splits. Lot of work at the arch but the flame is hot. Again, may not work for a bigger operation.

log cabin luke
03-19-2015, 11:59 AM
call lashway forest products they are in that area and may have a few bundles of dry slabs. You can burn wet slabs if you have a good blower. get a cheap harbor frieght dust collector. They make good blowers i use 3 of them on my rig.

Ejsmass2
03-26-2015, 08:04 PM
Last weekend we made 2 gallons of the lightest amber we have ever made.