PDA

View Full Version : When to pull the plug on reds?

ADK_XJ
03-16-2015, 07:30 PM
Half of my first run of trees this year are red maples - they're providing great sap flow and made some **** fine syrup last weekend but how do I know or at one point in the season should I pull the plug?

They all have had distinct red buds since I tapped them so I'm struggling to guess what further budding would entail...

DaveB
03-16-2015, 07:57 PM
I believe that unlike sugar maples, the reds will stop flowing when the time comes. I still have 1-2' of snow on the ground so I don't think mine will bud any time soon.

crazyjackcsa
03-16-2015, 08:09 PM
Reds will stop. I tap mainly reds. I've never had the syrup go buddy on me. It just stops.

ADK_XJ
03-16-2015, 09:38 PM
Reds will stop. I tap mainly reds. I've never had the syrup go buddy on me. It just stops.Okay, thanks!

ADK_XJ
03-16-2015, 09:39 PM
I believe that unlike sugar maples, the reds will stop flowing when the time comes. I still have 1-2' of snow on the ground so I don't think mine will bud any time soon.Thanks, good to know - I also have a solid two feet of hard packed snow on the ground so I'll run 'em while they're running!

Wanabe1972
03-16-2015, 10:38 PM
I think youll be ok for a while you are 15 minutes south of me and my reds have not even thawed out yet. There will be buds on the trees but they should be real tight. If you pick a bud and roll it between your fingers and it fluffs up the end is near. I would suspect your buds are still at the hard tight stage.

sapman
03-17-2015, 09:27 PM
Most of my trees are soft maples (red and silver). I can definitely get into some bad tasting syrup. If the reds do stop, then it must be the silvers responsible for the off flavor. Anyhow, when mine are about to go, I'll find "maple flowers", or those fluffs, on the ground and in the trees.

Cape tapper
03-18-2015, 08:22 AM
[QUOTE=crazyjackcsa;273619]Reds will stop. I tap mainly reds. I've never had the syrup go buddy on me. It just stops.[/QUOT

This being my first season, that is what I have seen. All of my trees are reds and I haven't seen a drop of sap in just over a week here in South Jersey. Now that I know reds just stop flowing, that will take any guess work out of when to stop.

Russell Lampron
03-18-2015, 01:56 PM
I tap mostly reds and the season usually ends before the buds affect the flavor of the syrup. The trees can be close to flowering before you get an off taste.