PDA

View Full Version : VAC PUMP

02-25-2004, 03:29 PM
How long do people run their vacumn pumps for each day.

Secondly, does anybody have any thoughts as to what a delaval vac pump might be worth. Model 77 with base/frame with or without motor ?

Thanks

powerdub
02-25-2004, 04:20 PM
I have mine on a t-stat. It starts at 34 degrees and shuts off at 28. As far as the delaval goes I don't have any idea.

syrupmaker
02-26-2004, 09:43 AM
I also run my pump when the temps get above 34,haven't found that free t-stat to hook up yet.

Model 77 can vary in $$$$$$$$$.Is it all cleaned up? 1.5 hp or 2 hp motor driving?Motor condition-capacitor start or RI start? Pump and base alone serviced and ready for motor are around $275-$300 this way.All the ones i have or had came from farm auctions and i serviced them myself. hope this helps.

Rick

syrupmaker
02-26-2004, 10:22 AM
I glanced through the trader real quick at work the other night and someone asked what oil to use in the vac pumps.Sorry i cant remember who was asking but SAE10 is the answer your looking for.Usually not available at your local parts store, a lubricant dealer is your best bet.

In a pinch you can use SAE20 (and i have with no problems) , which auto stores do carry. A suggestion to anyone trying vac this year,plumb the exhaust away from the drive belts and motor.The vapor emitted settles on the belts and they slip.Imagine oil doing that. :roll:

Rick

Parker
02-27-2004, 04:20 AM
Hi syrupmaker-
I have a surge alamo 75 that I am trying to press into service. Just a few questions. How fast do they want to turn? Also the exhaust goes through what looks like an oil trap, is there suppose to be oil in that befor I start the rig or does it fill when running from the pump body resivoir? What do you use for a check valve between the moisture trap and the releaser? How big a line should I run between the moisture trap and releaser? What do you use for a vacume regulator and does that go between moisture trap and releaser?? I should say the pump sits next to a tank on the stand. The tank has two 2" threaded holes in it and a drain in the bottom of it, The vacume line from the pump runs into this tank, the tank is what I am calling the moisture trap, is that correct?
Thanks in advance, I think I will be working on this project tonight befor this weekends run, the releaser is supposed to be in at Sunnyside today so I try to hook her up sat. ((this should be interesting))
Parker

syrupmaker
02-27-2004, 09:25 AM
Parker....that 75 wants to turn 520-675 rpm's. There are alot of variables to consider if using gas engine vs electric motor.Electric has a constant horsepower at rated rpm were as a gas engine is rated a certain horsepower at a given rpm . IE if the alamo 75 was a 5 hp electic you will need an 8-10 hp gas to make rated hp at a slower speed on a gas motor. Let me know what you are gonna drive it with and i'll try and help ya out with sizing the pulleys.

That is an oil trap the exhaust goes through and it should be empty at startup. Some guys will return the reclaimed oil to the resivoir and reuse it. Thats fine if it is clean and not milky from moisture condensating in it. As far as a check valve between the moisture trap and the releaser i'm not sure what you mean?

Line size between the pump, trap and releaser should stay the same size for propper CFM of the pump. Choking it down to much will cause the pump to over work,over heat and then. :cry: $$$$$$$ For regulating they make an inline regulator that runs around $50-$75 and sized to the CFM of the pump. Cheap and easy way is to put a "T" in the line with a valve and regulate it by drawing from atmosphere to trap. Spend the extra nickle also and "T" in a guage between the trap and releaser. It is nice to be able to see what the draw is and regulate it with the valve.The tank or trap should have a flow arrow for direction and the arrow head should go towards the pump. Drain the trap before each startup and you should never have to worry about the pump seeing liquid.

Hope this helps,If you are working on it tonight and have questions feel free to call me at 716-867-2866(cell) hope to get to Maplekings tonight to watch a real sugarer at work,but I'm up till 1AM everyday anyway.

Rick

Parker
02-28-2004, 03:59 AM
I am going to try running the pump with my 5.5 horse power honda. I had herd that a check valve between the Pump and releaser was a good idea so if your moter died the vacume in the system(lines) would not be able to suck the oil out of your pump into the releaser and the lines.
Thanks for the intel, now if I could just figure how to make this @#$%^$$%***new computer print I would be all set Parker

syrupmaker
02-28-2004, 08:49 AM
Parker....how did things turn out with your printer? your moisture trap between the pump and releaser should act the same way as the check valve your talking about.Just that it will not cork off the lines tight.

Don't think it really has too,

Rick

wdchuck
02-28-2004, 06:59 PM
As to your original question- I have a big Surge pump ( A 70?) And last year on 3 occassions I ran it for 40 hours straight. I'm told that as long as you keep the oil flowing and dont run the vac. too high that these things will run forever. Seeing as the pump was free, I can live with not running an ultra high vacum system for another year or two.

Parker
02-28-2004, 07:49 PM
So what does everyone run for levels of vacume? and no I have not figured out the printer, when I hit the printer Icon it brings up a FAX set up and I dont have a fax.....Parker

Brian
02-28-2004, 08:12 PM
I run my vac at 17 h.g. Any more and the pump I have would be no more.

powerdub
02-28-2004, 08:16 PM
I am running 22" to 24" at the releaser which translates to 17" in the bush. I have a SIHI liquid cooled pump and that "sucker" will pull 30" if I let it. 8O

Russell Lampron
02-29-2004, 05:52 AM
Parker,

If you are using Windows XP, Click on Start, Click on Control panel, Click on printers and other hardware, Click on Printers and Faxes, right click on the icon that describes your printer and select Set as default. this should fix your problem. Hows the sap running in Salisbury? It was too windy for it to run much yesterday here in Loudon. Hope to get enough to boil today.

Russ

Algier 2x6 with Preheater steamhood
Stihl chainsaws and brush saw
1930 Model AA Ford doodlebug tractor
2004 Honda Forman S ATV with 35 gallon gathering tank

wdchuck
02-29-2004, 06:11 AM
I am running 16 1/2 lbs vac at the pump. (Great minds think alike and so do mine and Brian's!) Amazingly, I've still got 15 1/2 lbs 4000 feet away!