PDA

View Full Version : Where's the sap

rayi
03-16-2015, 02:37 PM
Been perfect weather for sap but 120 gallons for 193 taps over a three day period. Now it's 70 degrees only going to get down to 45 tonight. In two days it will be 40 in the day and 28 in the night for the next week or two. Will the sap ever kick in

Ed R
03-16-2015, 02:56 PM
Its not been good so far for both sap volume and sugar content. On top of that the syrup is not filtering worth a darn either. Its also darker than normal. Lets see do I have an other complaints? Oh ya, the weather is looking crappy in the short term, hopefully it will run ok after this warm up.

rayi
03-16-2015, 04:16 PM
I hope it don't shut down for the year because the next two weeks look good

adk1
03-16-2015, 05:25 PM
Been perfect weather for sap but 120 gallons for 193 taps over a three day period. Now it's 70 degrees only going to get down to 45 tonight. In two days it will be 40 in the day and 28 in the night for the next week or two. Will the sap ever kick ini am in the very same boat

Shawn
03-16-2015, 05:30 PM
Not good here at this point either but looking back at last year we did not have our first big gather until the 29th of this month and only went two weeks, who knows long range looks like we could go into mid April but Mother Nature is in control

5050racing
03-16-2015, 07:11 PM
Was a perfect day and 53* only collected 18 gal about 50 taps,who knows still waiting for a good run?

jscheib
03-16-2015, 07:58 PM
the weather has been perfect in Northern Indiana , but haven't had any great flows yet. Collected 50 gallons off 100 taps in three days. hope the next couple of weeks produce! as noted earlier syrup is darker. anyone know what causes this or has anyone seen a season like this before?

crazyjackcsa
03-16-2015, 08:05 PM
Glad to hear I'm not the only one suffering. I'm still waiting for a decent flow. It's pretty much stopped the last two days.

lakeview maple
03-16-2015, 08:06 PM
Great day for sap, perfect weather , we collected 500 gallons today and its still running, hopefully tomorrow brings on another flood.

pennslytucky
03-16-2015, 08:16 PM
the sap tank is finally ahead of me as of today. ive been keeping right up to it no problem but its about half full tonight and im goin to bed. guess the ground is finally thawing out some. without the sap sucker though, i highly doubt id be saying the same thing. it flowed more today than the gravity line, and theres 3 times as many taps on better trees on the gravity line

roads-end
03-25-2015, 03:25 PM
Where's the sap? On 96 taps so far this year we've collected enough sap to make 2 quarts of syrup! So pathetic so far.... Season has to break eventually were in the mid 40tys for the second day in a row with 15 degree nights I collect 4 gallons of sap today

maple maniac65
03-25-2015, 03:33 PM
About 8 years ago we had a season with a lot of frost in the ground and minimal sap runs even with good sugaring weather. Things around here are looking that way right now.

Galena
03-25-2015, 05:00 PM
This has been The.Most.Aggravating.Run.EVER.

However, I'm hoping that it will do this year what it did last year: I set my spiles first week of March and most of March was pretty useless. I made a grand total of 900ml of syrup.

But then from April 1-April 21 I got a whole ton of sap - 407 l (minus the 38 that made up that March batch) and ended up with approx 19l of syrup. So I'm hanging my hat on that.

zandstrafarms
03-26-2015, 07:14 AM
Yeah I put in 50 taps (apparently they were all red and silver maples), all in our swampland about first week of march and was lamenting to the guy at TSC flow was slow and he said I must have taped too early as his dad's farm was currently running well. But location was south east of us in hilly terrain. Ours is lowland. Out of curiosity I tapped 5 trees on our back 40 acres, a few reds and blacks and every one gushed the minute I drilled. I concluded that water and ice levels in the ground must affect flow in addition to outside Temps. Flow was not affected by how close trees were to the water, but more of general area Temps created by the cold water/ice.

Last year we tapped maples all over so we took no notice if flow rates. This year I got fed up with lack of flow and began putting the red maple taps and n moving them to the back 40 acres on the black mapkes. A few days we got over a gallon per tap but mostly its been half a gallon over 2 days.