PDA

View Full Version : My trees are defective....

jaginger
03-16-2015, 01:48 PM
15 taps up for the past 10 days on gravity have produced...diddly squat. About a cup of sap. :confused:

JeffH
03-16-2015, 04:52 PM
21 taps on gravity in North Granby. I have had two moderate runs in the past three days before today. Today it's flowing great!

MapleLady
03-16-2015, 06:24 PM
Be patient and the sap will eventually flow. The snow has been so deep for so long, as well as the cold. Those trees probably just need a few more sunny days to thaw out.

handtapper
03-16-2015, 06:44 PM
I have 150 taps on one side of this house that have been flowing 1gpt for a week. The 80 taps on the other side (150yards difference) that have barely run at all. Its hit or miss just wait and you will get some sap

Galena
03-16-2015, 07:26 PM
Be patient and the sap will eventually flow. The snow has been so deep for so long, as well as the cold. Those trees probably just need a few more sunny days to thaw out.

+1...patience, grasshoppah. Sap will flow. You make syrup.

sugarridge48
03-17-2015, 07:30 AM
Hay guys in North canton a little behind this year. Sounds like I better get tapping have syrup by the week end.

valleyman
03-17-2015, 10:25 AM
The season seems a bit peculiar. I have 5 taps in Norwalk and 5 in Ansonia. I got 50 gallons last week primarily out of 9 of the 10. The biggest tree is barely putting out. That said, Norwalk which is warmer than Ansonia is producing more sap So with you guys north of me, it is coming.

From the 50 or so gal, I finished off just shy of 1 gallon, 1qt which seems to be some sweet sap. Good Luck everyone

markct
03-17-2015, 11:27 AM
I had a few decent runs but yesterday was the best so far and it hasnt stopped yet! Around 10pm i pumped all my tanks and nearly filled my 1650 gal tank at the sugarhouse. I got up at 4:30 so i could start the ro before i went to work and have sap ready to boil when i get home. I went and pumped the one tank i have thats a bit undersized so it wouldnt overflow. In that tank had about 150 gal sap off 280 taps and thats just what ran between 10pm and 5am. Its flowing great here finaly!

hodorskib
03-17-2015, 01:33 PM
I'm not far from Markct and I picked up 65 gallons off 66 taps and they were all running when I collected in the dark last night 8PM.

sugarridge48
03-17-2015, 06:45 PM
Going to tap tomorrow am and see what happens if any one is interested I believe I'll be sell ing my barrel evaporator at the end of this season. Nice unit not your normal barrel evaporator.Time to go bigger

Outdoorsman0490
03-17-2015, 09:06 PM
Still not doing well down here in trumbull. Off my 90 sugar maple taps, between yesterday morning and this eve, only 35-40 gal. Even less from the Reds and silvers I have tapped. Last year, i did better than 100 gal everyday it dripped.

Noah's Ark
03-18-2015, 07:39 AM
It has been a strange year for me also. So far the runs have been real hit and miss. I only got about 60 gallons yesterday off of 82 taps. Some are running great some not at all. I have most of my trees on an east facing hill and the snow cover is still pretty deep in some places. I think once the snow melts I will get some good runs. 17 of the taps are at my dad's place and his are running better, the land is flat and gets more sun this time of year. I have only made about 2 1/2 gallons of syrup so far, not as much as I would like, but I think it will start picking up in the next week. I just hope it does not break all at once and the trees bud.

CTSap4Maple
03-18-2015, 07:07 PM
Snow here this am in Southwest CT, and more on the way Fri-Sat. Taps seemed to have stopped or dried up before this recent cold snap. I started tapping late Feb. and have about 28 taps on 5/16 clear spouts, 5/16 tubing into 3/4 mainline, on gravity. Hooked those up to a Shurflo last week, but still barely any flow. Rest are on clear spouts with drops into buckets and collected only 40 gallons to date. Most of the sap came from two Norways (boiled down to sweet syrup with nutty finish) and big reds gave up very little. I see others in CT were flowing pretty well, and it hit nearly 50 here yesterday with no flow. Thinking of reaming some of the taps if no flow when it warms up, but I know that will stress the trees. Trying to be patient.

sugarridge48
03-19-2015, 07:24 AM
I think it's going to be fast furious and done. Hope you like gardening too.

harrison6jd
03-19-2015, 07:38 AM
I used to tap sugars and reds. reds never seem to give it up as well so they are being culled from the bush. I am very fortunate to have all sugars which seem to always flow when the temps are above freezing.

Snow here this am in Southwest CT, and more on the way Fri-Sat. Taps seemed to have stopped or dried up before this recent cold snap. I started tapping late Feb. and have about 28 taps on 5/16 clear spouts, 5/16 tubing into 3/4 mainline, on gravity. Hooked those up to a Shurflo last week, but still barely any flow. Rest are on clear spouts with drops into buckets and collected only 40 gallons to date. Most of the sap came from two Norways (boiled down to sweet syrup with nutty finish) and big reds gave up very little. I see others in CT were flowing pretty well, and it hit nearly 50 here yesterday with no flow. Thinking of reaming some of the taps if no flow when it warms up, but I know that will stress the trees. Trying to be patient.

lisound
03-19-2015, 10:25 AM
I'm in Monroe. Valley, swamp, and hillside trees. I've noticed full Sun really gets them going. We just haven't had ideal conditions. Waiting to get above freezing today and its almost noon. They'll run this afternoon with the bright Sun. Be ready when the conditions are right. I've tapped easy more trees this year than normal because sap production has been so low. There will be a day when I can't handle the flow. Hopefully that day will come soon. The trees are going to pop quick in April for sure. As others have said, if you garden, should be a great year for veggies. Might even get plants in the ground before June 1 st this year.

sugarridge48
03-19-2015, 10:31 AM
Just tapped and a couple of the trees in Sun are dripping. Could not believe it.

DaveB
03-19-2015, 02:54 PM
I think it's going to be fast furious and done. Hope you like gardening too.

Not if temperatures stay reasonable. If they flip like a light switch to normal then maybe but there's no indication that the pattern is going to change like that. The first thing that needs to happen is the snow needs to melt and the ground and the trees need to warm up. I think the season will be shorter than normal but we'll be boiling into April.

ctjim
03-19-2015, 06:47 PM
Not if temperatures stay reasonable. If they flip like a light switch to normal then maybe but there's no indication that the pattern is going to change like that. The first thing that needs to happen is the snow needs to melt and the ground and the trees need to warm up. I think the season will be shorter than normal but we'll be boiling into April.

i'm with you on the warm up and snow melt but i am already seeing buds on a bunch of my trees that are yard and hedgerow trees woods trees not so much. that has me worried as usually when the buds start to swell sugar content goes way down and sap amount drops as well.

DaveB
03-19-2015, 07:01 PM
i'm with you on the warm up and snow melt but i am already seeing buds on a bunch of my trees that are yard and hedgerow trees woods trees not so much. that has me worried as usually when the buds start to swell sugar content goes way down and sap amount drops as well.

I think the buds are always there but the leaves aren't going to come out just because it's April 1st. It needs to be warm enough to support having leaves. Sure it could be a short season but just like up north the leaves won't come out until the combination of temperatures, sun and ground temperatures are right. We have the sun but ground temperatures aren't going to rise until the snow melts and the air temperatures are more like what February should have been.

I guess time will tell....let's just hope for the best!