PDA

View Full Version : sap surging?

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-15-2015, 09:58 PM
noticing it more this year than years past.
while into boiling about 1 hr after i fire(every five minutes) about half way through the time the float will start to surge in then it just gets bouncing. When time comes up to fire open door throw wood in quick close door float settles right down and does good for another couple minutes starts surging again.

any one any one any one?

Wanabe1972
03-15-2015, 10:31 PM
My evaporator has always done this until it really gets rolling and have a continuous draw of syrup. I have blamed it on head pressure as when the head tank is low it settles down alot. I have lowered my tank this year but have not tried it yet. (no sap) The only time mine didnt bounce is when sap is entering at a constant rate.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-16-2015, 03:59 AM
Thanks for your response waanabe1972,

lowered head tank this year to a couple feet above float. it seems to do it if tank is full or low (100 gal). once I get rolling sap is constant coming in. I thought maybe I have steam stack to closed on hood so I opened it all the way and that didnt seem to change anything.

WESTMAPLES
03-16-2015, 06:42 AM
i would get kinda the samething happening the float box would surge because of the head pressure from the tank added a inline valve to control it some and it has solved the problem this far

Wanabe1972
03-16-2015, 09:43 AM
I also added a valve to mine and turned it until it didn't surge but my problem was it seemed like on a long draw off the sap would not maintain a proper level. I really don't have enough taps for a 2x8 and with the RO it's even worse . I don't usually ever boil more than 2 to 3 hours at a time and I make big batches sometimes as the gradient never really gets established. I am going to run the outlet of my head tank a foot higher than my float and try this.