PDA

View Full Version : My first boil

trappercharlie
03-15-2015, 07:15 PM
My first boil went great I thought my only concern is I don't think my syrup is the right color or consistency I poured it in jars and sealed them it tastes great but seems thin and is the color of honey I calibrated my thermometer and got it to 219 degrees and the syrup was foaming real good but I had run butter around the rim so it wouldn't boil over when it cools if it's still too thin can I cook it again this was my only shot at this this year and I'm hoping I can fix it what do you all think.thanks in advance , charlie

sweetwater sugar shack
03-15-2015, 07:35 PM
Yes u can boil again but I would get a hydromitor no guessing then

Run Forest Run!
03-15-2015, 07:36 PM
Hi Charlie. Congrats on your first syrup! Don't panic about the colour. Some is really light, like honey, and some is really dark. You rarely have much control over that. Check out the syrup in my signature photo - it's super light but still the correct density and definitely delicious. Unless you made gallons of the stuff this year, I'd just leave well enough alone and enjoy your syrup as it is. Make sure you keep it refrigerated and I bet you run out before anyone questions as why it isn't thicker. Odds are that when it cools down it will be just fine, but most importantly, you made it yourself and it will be the best tasting syrup you've ever had.

Now, start looking for more trees for the 2016 season!

trappercharlie
03-15-2015, 08:27 PM
Thanks r n r it does taste awesome and I'm proud that it turned out good for my first time I think maybe I will just let it go and enjoy it like it is and I have access to lots and lots of trees we have already made a list of stuff we need for next year I thought I'd even try a fall tap.

FarmerJake
03-16-2015, 11:32 AM
I did my first boil yesterday! Over the past couple weeks I collected about 19 gallons of SAP from seven taps. I used a 20" diameter aluminum pan that is 5" deep (from a commercial kitchen). I placed it over our existing fire pit and kept a raging wood fire beneath it. It took 6 hours to reduce it down to 1.4 gallons (was really happy about evaporating almost 3 GPH!). I finished it on the stove, but it took almost three hours. I ended up with 66oz of syrup; from what I'm reading that seems like a good yield. Next time I'm going to leave it on the fire a little longer to reduce the finishing time. Overall, I'm really happy with the way everything worked out......and the pancake dinner last night was incredible!!