PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations On Saddles?

Bruce L
03-15-2015, 04:57 PM
Recently finished revamping a whole bush, started out with Lapierre's double wrap ties, finished with the double wire tie saddles. I found the double wrap ties didn't seem to get as tight as I would like them, there was more room to squeeze than there was teeth to ratchet tight for 3/4" lines. With the double wire tie saddle I am depending on the wire ties to keep the saddles from leaking, and as you can see on my other post I am not sure the wire ties will do the job. Talked to a neighbor the other night who is a CDL dealer, and of course he says that their saddles are the best in the industry. One thing i do see about their saddles that I like is they are specific for the size of mainline, not generic for 4 different sizes, as well as the ratchet system to tighten them, and also an eyebolt? can be added if need be to tighten any leaky ones. I don't like Leader's as they are swivel, to me that is a potential leak waiting to happen. I only like the single entry fixed head saddles, 31/64" hole size as that is what I am set up for drilling into the mains.

eagle lake sugar
03-15-2015, 05:27 PM
I really like the H20 Innovations saddles. They have a screw securing them. They may take a little longer to install, but once they're on, no leaks or worries. I tried a few of another brand this year and had to retighten half of them. They're only like $1.75 each for 1".

GeneralStark
03-15-2015, 06:14 PM
I installed about 100 of the CDL Max Seal saddles this year and am quite impressed. They are considerably better than their older version because the gasket design has been greatly improved. I installed a couple while the mainline was under vac. and couldn't believe how easily they sealed without the saddle clamped on the mainline.

I have used LaPierre's Branon saddle as well and also like them, though I have had to replace a couple that leaked. Not as good of a gasket design. Some friends with a 30,000 tap operation up the road are trying the new Leader saddles because the installation is quick. They like them so far.

BreezyHill
03-15-2015, 06:23 PM
I only use Max seal from CDL now. I had to add 5 screw kits today to ones that I could not stop leaking. Put on the screw kit and they were perfectly sealed. They have the support wire tabs on both top sides and use a ridged seal rather than a flat seal that is destined to fail under high vac conditions.

Tried a couple of hose clamp style and not impressed. Used the Lap ones and they didn't seal well where the deer travel thru.

I have tried most all of them over the last 20+years and like these the best. Good heavy plastic saddles.

mtnmeadowmplfarm
03-16-2015, 03:58 AM
I have had to screw all my CDL saddles closed. So many of them would loosed up and leak we just went ahead and did them all. I have had much better success with the brannon style saddle the last couple years.

markct
03-16-2015, 05:24 AM
Cdl ridgid saddles have worked well for me. They seal easily and are fast to put on with channelock pliers and tie wires. Never had one fail of the hundreds i have in the woods. They are simple and affordable thats what i need

adironmaple
03-16-2015, 05:38 AM
Mountain meadow what do the branon style saddles look like.

Ontario Ian
03-16-2015, 06:03 AM
I have the cdl rigid ones, I put the bolt on right away, they seem to be holding up good. They took a 31/64" also.

unc23win
03-16-2015, 07:10 AM
Mountain meadow what do the branon style saddles look like.

I believe Lapierre dropped the Branon from the name of the saddle they are simply called Universal Single Saddle Manifold With Fixed Head they use 2 Zip ties. TU123 in catalog.

Sugarwood Hill
03-18-2015, 08:00 AM
I have used the Lapierre TU122 which is the same as the TU123, but without the tie straps. Then to get a good seal I install hose clamps on each side of the saddle. Only draw back to this that I have found is that it drives the price up to just over $4.00 per saddle, but no leaks. This year, building on the same idea, I am trying the new DSD saddle which is made using a hose clamp. At half the cost per saddle, faster installation, and less bulky to carry, I think this is the best saddle so far.

Maplewalnut
03-18-2015, 08:52 AM
We use Lapierre super saddles, the ones with the crab claws that ratchet together. No leaks in three years.

sapman
03-18-2015, 08:56 AM
[QUOTE=Bruce L I don't like Leader's as they are swivel, to me that is a potential leak waiting to happen.[/QUOTE]

You must mean the record multi-fitting that Leader sells. Used to get them from CDL, too. But their new quick seal is fixed head. I've been using them for the last year or so, as well as hundreds being installed where I've worked for a friend on installations. So far, so good. Very quick and easy install. I've been skeptical, as they will move around a little, but the still seem to stay sealed.

MAPLE FARMER
03-18-2015, 07:58 PM
I use all max flow cdl saddles with a screw kit and two bag ties around it also for a just in case insurance policy and I have never found them to leak.

GeneralStark
03-19-2015, 07:08 AM
With the max seal I use two wire ties instead of the bolt kit(in the same location as the bolt) to hold it tight as the ratchet will loosen up over time. I also wire tie it to the mainline for some extra insurance.

Bruce L
03-19-2015, 06:44 PM
Sugarwood Hill, what is a DSD saddle?

BreezyHill
03-20-2015, 07:19 AM
With the max seal I use two wire ties instead of the bolt kit(in the same location as the bolt) to hold it tight as the ratchet will loosen up over time. I also wire tie it to the mainline for some extra insurance.

I would rethink this enhancement. The bolt has a washer for the head to spread the force applied by the tight bol so as to not break or rip through the plastic; plus the tension that can be applied with a bolt is much greater and more variable than with a wire tie.

I have yet to have a bolted saddle loosen but have found ice in two saddles from freezing rain the other day that I surmise caused the leak I had one them.

hate to see a saddle break and have to be replaced.

Ben

nymapleguy607
03-20-2015, 08:07 AM
I installed the leader quick seal saddles this year, I had some doubt about how they locked and how they would seal. As far as installing them, they are probably the easiest to install. They all sealed well and are holding vacuum fine. I'll have to see how they hold up but so far so good. Again, a much easier install vs the ratchet style.

GeneralStark
03-20-2015, 08:08 AM
I would rethink this enhancement. The bolt has a washer for the head to spread the force applied by the tight bol so as to not break or rip through the plastic; plus the tension that can be applied with a bolt is much greater and more variable than with a wire tie.

I have yet to have a bolted saddle loosen but have found ice in two saddles from freezing rain the other day that I surmise caused the leak I had one them.

hate to see a saddle break and have to be replaced.

Ben

Let me guess....you sell the bolt kit, right?

The wire tie concept was suggested to me by several sugarmakers that use thousands of these saddles, one of whom is a CDL rep.

unc23win
03-20-2015, 08:26 AM
I would have to agree with GeneralStark many sugarmakers use wire ties and why not when we buy them by the thousands and they are fast to install. Lots of brochures show them being used on saddles as well. I know I had some CDL max seal saddles I didn't know they were the max seal until all of the discussion on here as I do not buy much CDL, anyhow they are one saddle that without the bolt or wire tie they pop apart relatively easy so it is easy to see why they sell the bolt. Other saddles like the Lapierre Super or Brannon (not called Branon anymore) are very hard to get off if you for instance point them the wrong way when you put them on.

BreezyHill
03-20-2015, 11:10 AM
Let me guess....you sell the bolt kit, right?

The wire tie concept was suggested to me by several sugarmakers that use thousands of these saddles, one of whom is a CDL rep.

I use them with good experience...it is just a suggestion to save you from the small plastic hole breaking. There are two groves to use for wire tie application that is designed into the saddle.

Over the years I have seen the wire tie cut into tubing to the point of a leak.

Yes I do sell them and understand the design of the unit; but also understand applied science concepts.

I just hate to see a person ruin a good saddle.

Wire ties are cheap but if miss used the damage is not cheap.

Save $.27 to cost $2.35 don't see the cents.

TheMapleMoose
03-21-2015, 05:50 AM
The leader quick seal fittings seem to be a decent saddle so far. Especially compared to the record. Year two and they are still sealed fine with no problems. The gaskets are a peice of cake to change also. Unfortunately for you they take a 5/16" hole.