PDA

View Full Version : Flat pan deviders

ronnie 1
03-15-2015, 01:53 PM
Hi, everyone, one of my friends has an evaporator with a 2x4 flat pan and wants to add some dividers to establish a gradient and was asking me how many sections is too many, any advice would be nice, tks.

Ausable
03-15-2015, 09:09 PM
OK - I would divide in half - a 2' x 2' sap and a 2' x 2' syrup section. The section closest to the stack is the sap section - put a divider in lengthwise and we now have two 1' x 2' sap sections. The 2' x 2' front section will be the syrup sections - put 2 lengthwise dividers in the syrup sections. So now we have 2 sap sections 12" x 24" and 3 syrup sections 8" x 24". Work out a serpentine path where You add sap in the first sap section to where You draw off almost syrup in the last syrup section. You will have to cut openings in the dividers prior to welding them in - 1" x 1" (some prefer ! !/2"). Also decide if You want isolation gates or isolation plugs in your dividers. I have two isolation plugs in my homemade rig - one between the last sap section and the first syrup section. Another between the second syrup section and the last syrup section. This make it possible to pull the fire from the arch - Isolating the sections and leaving the pan sweet (Or ready to go) for the next boil. Hope I helped.

ronnie 1
03-16-2015, 04:46 AM
OK - I would divide in half - a 2' x 2' sap and a 2' x 2' syrup section. The section closest to the stack is the sap section - put a divider in lengthwise and we now have two 1' x 2' sap sections. The 2' x 2' front section will be the syrup sections - put 2 lengthwise dividers in the syrup sections. So now we have 2 sap sections 12" x 24" and 3 syrup sections 8" x 24". Work out a serpentine path where You add sap in the first sap section to where You draw off almost syrup in the last syrup section. You will have to cut openings in the dividers prior to welding them in - 1" x 1" (some prefer ! !/2"). Also decide if You want isolation gates or isolation plugs in your dividers. I have two isolation plugs in my homemade rig - one between the last sap section and the first syrup section. Another between the second syrup section and the last syrup section. This make it possible to pull the fire from the arch - Isolating the sections and leaving the pan sweet (Or ready to go) for the next boil. Hope I helped. Thanks Mike, did you make your own plugs or did you by them?

Ausable
03-16-2015, 05:14 AM
Thanks Mike, did you make your own plugs or did you by them?

Ronnie 1 - My oldest Son is a Machinist and his Son is a Welder - So - We used tapered plugs and receivers. The Receivers? were welded into the dividers and handles were welded to the back of the plugs. When used - the plugs are held in place with a wedge between the back of the plug and a piece of flat stock - welded to the bottom of the pan. The pan is all steel. It works. The other divider holes are just 1 1/2" squares cut into the dividers.

Ausable
03-16-2015, 05:20 AM
Oh - To answer Your question - the plugs were manufactured. - I'm sure You can locate some with a search engine if that is what You decide to use.