PDA

View Full Version : First boil

Sky Ranch Farms
03-15-2015, 10:48 AM
I did my first boil ever this past Friday. (I'm hooked)

We started with 30 gallons of sap and after a long night ended up with about a quart of syrup.
The finished product was dark and robust with a distinct flavor. I did the finishing boil in a stainless stock pot on the kitchen stove. It tastes good, just different....

My question is: Does the syrup lighten as the season progresses? Does the stainless pot make a difference vs a cast iron Dutch oven type pot with regard to flavor? Does the flavor have to do with the trees on my property or because of some circumstance I created?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Run Forest Run!
03-15-2015, 10:57 AM
Welcome Sky Ranch Farms. That's one great looking setup for a first timer.

The colour of syrup can be all over the place during the season, but on average it's more likely to darken than lighten, but it can do either.

As for your SS vs. cast iron flavour question, I'm not sure about any taste issues.

I tap lots of different types of maples and have made pure batches of each in the past. They all taste different. So, yes, the type of tree that you tap will impact the flavour. Circumstances that you create all the way from collection to boiling can also impact the flavour.