PDA

View Full Version : New from Portage County, OH.

Aggravated Farmer
03-14-2015, 05:36 PM
Hello all. New to the forum and new to maple sugaring. Call me agro if you'd like. I'm a dairy farmer. I help my family own and operate a 200 milking herd. We raise our steers for beef and we also have a grain operation. I'm a beekeeper as well and will be expanding the hives this year. My cousin and I decided to tap a few trees this year just for fun and the experience of it. Learn how to do it and all. So soon after we were talking where we would like a sugar shack and whatnot. You know how it is. I like to think Hob's cost money and businesses make money.

So I'm loaded with questions and will browse through. If anyone has any questions of their own please feel free to ask!

DaveB
03-15-2015, 07:36 AM
Welcome! I'm sure you'll find everything you need here.

BTW, I travel through a corner of your county on my way to my wife's family in Illinois every year. I take a route down to Deerfield & Alliance so I can connect with US 30 in Canton. I love taking that route because it's so much less crowded than the interstate and we get there is just about as much time.

Aggravated Farmer
03-15-2015, 10:33 AM
Welcome! I'm sure you'll find everything you need here.

BTW, I travel through a corner of your county on my way to my wife's family in Illinois every year. I take a route down to Deerfield & Alliance so I can connect with US 30 in Canton. I love taking that route because it's so much less crowded than the interstate and we get there is just about as much time.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Are you driving State Route 44 through Ravenna just south of I-80? If so, you are driving literally right by the farm.

maplejames
03-15-2015, 10:43 AM
Hi and welcome! I'm in Geauga, and just make maple syrup as a hobby....definitely would be more cost effective just to buy the stuff, but way less fun. What is your farm called? I have a coffee roasting business and am looking for local milk to source.

DaveB
03-15-2015, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Are you driving State Route 44 through Ravenna just south of I-80? If so, you are driving literally right by the farm.

We go just a hair south of you - I get off I-76 on SR 225 and take that down to Alliance and then pick up US 62 which takes me over to Canton where I pick up US 30.

Aggravated Farmer
03-16-2015, 06:18 AM
Hi and welcome! I'm in Geauga, and just make maple syrup as a hobby....definitely would be more cost effective just to buy the stuff, but way less fun. What is your farm called? I have a coffee roasting business and am looking for local milk to source.

Thanks! If you are looking for a gallon or two I can fix you up, we sell our milk to Minerva Dairy. Alger dairy is our farm.

Aggravated Farmer
03-16-2015, 06:26 AM
We go just a hair south of you - I get off I-76 on SR 225 and take that down to Alliance and then pick up US 62 which takes me over to Canton where I pick up US 30.
I know exactly where you hop off the pike. It's nice and rural down that ways. Up north of us is much like it, more rolling hills in some places.