PDA

View Full Version : beginner help

mikecon3
03-14-2015, 09:25 AM
Hello, this is my first time trying to make maple syrup and need a little help. I have only a few drops of sap after having them tapped for about a week. The temp has been below freezing at night and above during the day.the taps are on the southwest side of the tree. I am in central massachusetts and beginning to wonder if I either missed the season or am getting my trees confused and not tapping silver maples like I think I am. Any suggestions?

Marcus
03-14-2015, 09:34 AM
I have 4 silver maples in my yard 2 in front and 2 in back. The 2 in front were topped probably 20 years ago and this the third year that they didn't yield hardly any sap. The 2 in back run awesome.
Marcus Yoder

John c
03-14-2015, 09:40 AM
I had that problem too, so I decided to drill new holes and the new holes yielded more sap in 5 minutes than the week old holes yielded in a week.

WESTMAPLES
03-14-2015, 10:27 AM
beginners don`t sweat it it will come no need for redrilling new holes, that just stresses the trees and gives you less sap as the tree already has a hole to re-leave its self from. ive had a bucket test tap in since January and it hasn`t run a drop till a day ago. about 2 weeks ago i tapped my other bushes a they have run a few hundred gallons in the last 2 days its mother nature showing us who really controls what happens hang tight it will come and good luck

Quagmire33
03-14-2015, 02:00 PM
Hello, this is my first time trying to make maple syrup and need a little help. I have only a few drops of sap after having them tapped for about a week. The temp has been below freezing at night and above during the day.the taps are on the southwest side of the tree. I am in central massachusetts and beginning to wonder if I either missed the season or am getting my trees confused and not tapping silver maples like I think I am. Any suggestions?

I'm in north central mass and tapped last Thursday, friday, and Sunday. Weather has been text book perfect but I only got a run on Wednesday. Other than that I got nothing. Only 35 gallons on about 50 taps. I'm starting to get really anxious about the season but like everyone on here has said, be patient it will come. And when it does it'll get over whelming. This season is looking like it'll be a late start. Back in 2012 I had my first boil done and bottled on 2/16. You never know when Mother Nature is going to start the sap flow.

TreeTapper2
03-14-2015, 09:03 PM
Patience is a virtue in this hobby. Your trees may still be froze. A couple sunny days will warm them up and then the sap will be a flowin.

Tickle
03-15-2015, 09:06 AM
i think the trees are just really frozen from the harsh cold winter, i have also experienced slow sap run as some trees have run well and others not much at all, just going to have to wait and see and hope for the best