PDA

View Full Version : leaks with the guzzler

TRAILGUY
03-13-2015, 06:21 PM
Got the pump right now chasing leaks is tubing. I saw 4 different looks as sap entered main lines.

1. Bouncing with the pulse of the pump. My guess ok.

2. sap racing by. Found major leaks.

3. sap not moving. My guess check saddles.

4. Did not see any sap in same area as running. my guess sap not running or major leaks.

check and repair for 2 hours not close to right back at it tomorrow.

VT_K9
03-13-2015, 06:37 PM
The sap movement will tell you a lot. I had a puller and most often the vacuum would be down if two taps were broken (either a pin hole or flat out cracked). Follow the sap lines from the saddles to the head. Look for fast flowing areas. With this new vacuum I found a tap which was not driven in tight. After fixing that I found the T was seeping around the barbs. Once fixed the sap flow went back to normal. I have a couple gauges and valves in place to help trouble shoot areas. I only have about 300 taps now, but it cuts down on a lot of walking.

Mike

wildlifewarrior
03-13-2015, 07:04 PM
Our Guzzler was pulsing too, I originally thought it was okay, but I don't think it is, I think it means there is a leak, because somewhere the pressure is able to move the sap back up the line a few inches. We used a shuflow in the past and there was never any pulsing, I think the diaphragm works a little different in a shurflo.

Mike

adk1
03-13-2015, 07:19 PM
I have the sap puller from Ray goodrich. I haven't gotten more than 5" of vac yet, but my trees aren't runningreally yet. They are still froze. I haven't hd the chance to walk the lines yet but I plan on doing that tomorrow. I was told that the puller will read higher vac when the sap is actually running and lower vac when there isn't allot of sap in the lines. I also have a check valve installed on both the in and outlet sides of the pump

pls009
03-13-2015, 07:30 PM
Does anyone know what the max vac is for the Guzzler assuming that everything is tight? I have been getting 22-23 as my best. I'm happy with this but just got to thinking that I could walk the lines again and maybe could hear a noise if I have anymore bite holes but yet have a feeling that I am topped out.

adk1
03-13-2015, 07:43 PM
I would love to be getting that. I think 24" is the max for sure. Mow many feet and what size mainline do you have and how many feet of laterals and number of taps?

psparr
03-13-2015, 08:16 PM
If you've got the slope, think about some free vac. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/13/eaabd2a595f21f0fc2786f99b06f1e53.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lakeview maple
03-13-2015, 08:36 PM
I chased leaks for about 4 hours today, checked every connection , T , tap, saddle and fitting. I found about 9 pinhole leaks and fixed it all up , Im pulling about 18inches now so I tore down the guzzler and went through and cleaned everything , retaped it all and checked all the fittings on it. I was able to get 23" with my hand over the end. I ll hook it all back up tomorrow when the temp gets closer to above freezing . Ill boil off what I have on Sunday and get ready for next week.

pls009
03-13-2015, 10:19 PM
I would love to be getting that. I think 24" is the max for sure. Mow many feet and what size mainline do you have and how many feet of laterals and number of taps?

My set up is a little unconventional. I have 155 taps, they are all on 5/16 with no real main line. I have 6 different runs that feed into a manifold that connects to the pump. It remains to be seen how this set up will work when the sap is really flowing but so far it is working. I have collected 300 gal in last 48 hours and I would venture to guess that less than half of the taps have started to run yet. I have collected nothing from my bags or 3/16 tubing yet due to our crazy weather but this set up is giving me something to do. I think this set up has helped me prevent having leaky saddles but like I said, maybe it will be lacking during the peak flow days. Time will tell. The biggest problem I see with these pumps is that there is no real margin for leaks.

Here is a short video of what the set up looks like. http://youtu.be/QKscxGEtYBA