PDA

View Full Version : Mason 2x4 hobby xl

highlandcattle
03-13-2015, 08:00 AM
Ron is real happy with the Little Mason. When the blower is on. Its running flat put and boiling like crazy. Really glad we got this. Hoping we thaw out enough to run the pump later. This looks to be a quick season

Noah's Ark
03-14-2015, 07:33 AM
I have the same setup and was very happy with it last year. The preheater is so so but I am thinking about running a feed line wrapped around the stack to help increase the temp of the sap going in. Good luck this year. Now if we can ever get a decent run here in CT i can start making some syrup. going to fire it up today to cook down the 75 gal i have just because I can't wait to get started anymore.

DonMcJr
03-19-2015, 03:59 AM
Please post some more about this evaporator! Videos too if you can. Thinking about selling my leader half pint and upgrading and seriouly considering the Mason 2x4 XL...

ADK_XJ
03-20-2016, 09:43 PM
Please post some more about this evaporator! Videos too if you can. Thinking about selling my leader half pint and upgrading and seriouly considering the Mason 2x4 XL...
Bump. And, any sense of what his shipping prices are like? Thinking the 2x4xl is coming in my future for '17...

Woodsrover
03-21-2016, 04:44 AM
I have a 2x3lx and love it but I'm going to sell it this year and get a 2x4xl. Like Noah I found the pre-heater not great and would increase my boil by 10%-20% if I could feed hot sap. Working with Bill about a way to bring some heat to the pre-heat box and will let you know how we make out.

highlandcattle
03-21-2016, 05:33 AM
We researched all 2x4's before we bought the Mason. The price was one factor. We got about $200 off when we ordered it during his special. Spoke with Bill Mason several times and when it was ready we made a day trip to drive to Maine and pick it up. He's a great guy,nice little town and we had a terrific day. We downsized from a 2x8 CDL. We have our own sugarbush right here on the farm,so this year Ron added more taps,450 now. He boils from about 7 am to around 5 pm. You really need the blower to get a good boil. The chimney will get cherry red,so better be careful when you design that part. Bills design is easy for Ron to clean on his own,simple operation and well made. Wish we knew of him sooner,would have bought a finisher from him. We really are way beyond what this was made for,but Ron is home to boil and we sell the extra sap. We have been very pleased with this unit(have had a few others over the years)I had our Amish metal worker neighbor build covers for keeping everything clean. Check out our Facebook page to see it working. Highland Hills Farm,Charleston NY

Jolly Acres Farm
03-21-2016, 07:15 AM
DonMcJr,

I have very happy with mine so far this year. The pre-heater is so-so at best. I changed to soft copper around the stack into a needle valve and now my sap is hitting the pan at 130-180 depending on how fast I'm running. Before it was hitting the pan at 40-42 degrees. If you get up to the U.P. you are welcome to stop by and check mine out. Pictures and video don't do the quality justice....

Jolly Acres Farm
03-21-2016, 07:19 AM
ADK,

When I talked to Bill before ordering mine it was in the $400-600 range. Then I found a dealer only a few hours drive away that worked out a great deal for delivery to their location.

Urban Sugarmaker
03-21-2016, 07:38 AM
I can definitely vouch for this evaporator too. I love it, but as I add more and more taps I am looking for something bigger. You could always put a hybrid 2x4 pan on the Mason arch. Bill would sell you just the arch I think. With the blower I can hit the max rating of 12 gph and sometimes a little more. If you don't plan on adding taps, this rig will save you time. Definitely get the blower.

Andrew Franklin
03-21-2016, 10:14 PM
I got the 2x4 xl this year and it is very well made. My boil rates weren't great because I got it as sap was running and just used a homemade block arch under it because I didn't have time to brick his arch. Looking forward to using it as intended next year. Get the blower - I regret that I didn't. Bill was very friendly and we spoke a few times and he answered all my questions. My unit was accidently shipped without the float valve, and he offered to pay for shipping and give me a break for his mistake. In the end he shipped me two thermometers which sell for more than the float valve - a very fair resolution in my opinion. I also am looking to wind copper pipe around my stack to increase temps going into the preheater box, but even on my hastily built block arch a got a boil in the first channel (or about half of it) when my fire was really cranking, but it would fall off quickly leaving the other three channels boiling - but I'm assuming that was due to a combo of cold sap and the arch.

johnpma
03-23-2016, 07:42 AM
I have a 2x3lx and love it but I'm going to sell it this year and get a 2x4xl. Like Noah I found the pre-heater not great and would increase my boil by 10%-20% if I could feed hot sap. Working with Bill about a way to bring some heat to the pre-heat box and will let you know how we make out. Woodsrover I would be interested in purchasing your unit if you decide to sell