PDA

View Full Version : Glass jugs for sap collecting

Cedar Eater
03-12-2015, 10:38 AM
I'm using dark green 4.0L glass jugs for downline sap collecting. I like that I can see the level of sap in each one from a distance, unlike white buckets. They're also very easy to pour from. I can see possible problems with storing many of these after the season, but other than that, are there any other problems I should be concerned with?

John c
03-12-2015, 11:17 AM
I would worry about them breaking if the sap inside them froze during a cold snap.

Cedar Eater
03-12-2015, 11:31 AM
I would worry about them breaking if the sap inside them froze during a cold snap.

These are thick, freeze-resistant jugs. They can break if they freeze solid when they are full, but they should be fine as long as they aren't full. We can empty them every day, so that shouldn't be a concern.

John c
03-12-2015, 01:10 PM
Also (just like a fish tank) the glass will let the sunlight through and sunlight will promote growth of things you don't want to grow and the insides will become very slimy very quickly.

Homespun
03-12-2015, 01:59 PM
Would the typical opaque plastic gallon milk jugs be a good option for you to use? You can easily see the sap level from a distance, like your glass jars.

Cedar Eater
03-12-2015, 02:08 PM
Also (just like a fish tank) the glass will let the sunlight through and sunlight will promote growth of things you don't want to grow and the insides will become very slimy very quickly.

Green glass inhibits the growth of many things. Brown glass inhibits the growth of other things. I'll check on which is which is which, but since the sap is drained so frequently and the weather is so cold, I doubt it will make much difference.

Cedar Eater
03-12-2015, 02:12 PM
Would the typical opaque plastic gallon milk jugs be a good option for you to use? You can easily see the sap level from a distance, like your glass jars.

They would be good, but we don't drink that much milk. We could start saving jugs for next year, but unfortunately we recycled the ones we had earlier this year.

markct
03-12-2015, 06:52 PM
How you gona get the ice out of them

Cedar Eater
03-12-2015, 07:01 PM
I put an empty one on the downline and bring the icy one into the house. What do the people who use milk jugs do?

jrm
03-12-2015, 07:20 PM
I use milk, or cider, or water gallons. Yes, I can see the levels from a distance once there's an inch or so in the container. If it's frozen, and not full, we let it go til the next check. Otherwise, it's brought into the garage to thaw. We are pouring into food safe 5 gallon pails, buried in the snow, so we get rid of the frozen sap from there instead of at the collection point.

2015 -- 6 trees, 7 taps, only 2 starting to flow
2014 -- 3 trees, 3 taps.
Homemade 55 gal barrel evaporator, outdoors.